1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Angelfish:More Eggs (Announcement)

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by LemonDiscus, Nov 24, 2008.

1. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Thread Starter Active Member

Well, I have not posted to give myself some luck (a bit nervous that saying anything would curse me) well I have about 250-300 free-swimming baby Angels as of today. I tried something a bit different.

Instead of removing the babies I pulled the parents from the tank and put them in my 20 temporarily until I figure out what to do.

Already the parents are cleaning the heater in the 20 gallon (stupid fish) and I gave them a vase this morning (hoping they would find it better than the heater!).

Well, the babies seem to be eating the frozen baby brine and are in a "cloud" I really never seen them in before.

With good luck I will have several babies (oh, and almost all of them have a string of poop hanging off of them (I figure it takes something going in for something to come out!)

2. LemonDiscus

Re: More Eggs

Some asked before for pictures of the fry.... as I only had a few dozen I really could not take any photos.... here is part of the "cloud" I have now!

This is at about 7 days old...
    IMG_0778.jpg

3. LemonDiscus

And the best close up I could get.... they move quick! With the close-up filter it is hard to get focus on these guys!

Oh and he/she is taking a HUGE poop along with all the others! That is that curly-cue thing hanging off of its rear!
    IMG_0784.jpg

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Very cool.

5. SyncereOne

SyncereOne New Member

Awesome...what kind of angels are they?

6. LemonDiscus

Silvers..... well Dad Angel is a Silver and Mom Angel is a cross of a half black (very recessive in her) and a silver.

2 weeks and they are still growing!!!!!! My longest lasting bunch yet [dancing]

7. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

hey my discus they were in a tank and were fighting so i seperated them for like 2 days and its been like a month and a half since they had frys they ussually have it every 2 weeks what can i do to help them get horny again?

8. LemonDiscus

Nothing, put them together (alone with no other fish) and place a breeding cone in the tank.... time.... my angels go in and out of breeding cycles. ANY changes to the environment can cause them to quit spawning.

9. LemonDiscus

Another update on these fish:
    1st batch posted on here with the pictures:
    Birthday (from eggs being laid) - November 15
    Now look like tiny little angel fish! 90% have all of their fins and look like Angels that are about 1/4" around! [dancing] All doing well and just moved up from "First Bites" to Cyclopsese. About 150 babies (still hard to count even though you can see them well, I cant count with them moving that quick)

2nd batch I mentioned in a later post in this tread
    4 lived, Birthday was around Nov 25.... I dont expect these to live. (not enough to win by numbers)

A new 3rd batch born (laid) on December 1st
    There are about 200 babies and they are still with the parents. Because I am out of tank space I figured I would let the parents raise them. Well, the babies are in free swimming now and the parents are still caring for them. The biggest problem I am having is getting food to the babies as Mom-fish attacks the crap out of me every time I try and even though she has a little mouth with no teeth, her bite actually hurts a bit!)

10. LemonDiscus

Here are the babies that are in the previous pictures a bit more grown up! [dancing]

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
    babies.jpg

11. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

They actually look like little fish now.

12. LemonDiscus

Indeed they do! They moved from tadpoles to mini-fishies!

13. LemonDiscus

Fair growth in size over the past few days for the older batch. They are in-between pea and dime size now. I have the following varieties:

Silvers - About 20%
    Half Black - About 5%
    Black Marble - About 25%
    White? - About 50%

The whites I am not sure how they will come out yet. They are not albinos as they do have color in their eyes (I think anyhow) Lutinos??? I have NEVER read about this variety. I am not sure how I get whites from 2 silvers???? Well 1 silver shows some half black (the mother) which means she is not a "pure bred" silver and has some other varieties mixed in to her!

14. dye2fish

dye2fish New Member

Wow