1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

aquarium book for beginners?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by Anonymous, Jul 12, 2009.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Hi! I'm slightly new to keeping fish, and I was wondering if anyone knew of a great book for starters that I could read, to get a feel and better understanding of everything that goes in to keeping aquariums. I have a few fish, but I would like to learn more so that I can expand.

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Freshwater or saltwater ?

3. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Freshwater currently, a brackish water tank, and would like to learn more about saltwater.

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

That would be three different books then. Your best bet would be go to the book store and look. For saltwater "Saltwater Aquariums For Dummies" is a great one.

5. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Also, this site is in my opinion better than a book. Books are generally written from the authors perspective. Here, there are HUNDREDS of authors haha.

Any questions you may have should surely be answered here.

Quite a few of us have experience with saltwater tanks so all you have to do is ask :)

6. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I agree. Often times I've read things being stated as fact when they are only the authors opinion on keeping that fish.

7. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Exactly! Before I got my discus I read so much about how hard they are to keep and that the water has to be perfect and the gh and ph have to be at a certain level.

Well, mine are doing just fine and I have no clue what my gh is and my ph is at 7.0. What is usually written in books are the parameters of the water they NATURALLY live in. But, most of the fish you see today are tank bred so they can easily adapt to more neutral conditions. The main thing to worry about is CONSTANT water conditions, whatever they are. As long as the water doesn't fluctuate they're fine.

I also read not to mix south america/central american cichlids with african cichlids yet I've had no problems in my tank.

There are breakthroughs in fish keeping happening way too fast for books to keep up with.

Just my $0.02.

8. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Also I want to express my distaste for Wet Web Media. The writer of that is so BIAS. Don't get me wrong, some of what is there is correct and up to date but often times I would read something that was clearly his opinion he was passing on as 100% fact. I no longer go there.