1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

aquatic reading or video recommendations?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by Anonymous, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

I am still self-educating. So I thought I might get some suggestions on books or dvd's to get, so that I can read up and see if their is any information I havn't found. I want freshwater information.
    Thanks

2. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

I think experts are easier to get knowledge from since you can instantly ask questions and sometimes they are more reliable But books and dvds can be great too!

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

I like asking all you guys my questions, but sometime I prefer learning on my own.

4. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

True , Learning yourself is sometimes the best way :)

5. GOT MTS?

GOT MTS? Member

The books and DVDs would depend on what type of aquarium you want to set up. We wouldn't want to recommend something about salt water if your doing a fresh water set up.

6. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Agreed. Most books or DVDs are specific to aquarium type.

7. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

And there are books that specialize in each "type" of salt and freshwater...

Like me I am interested in Blackwater (Discus, Angelfish, Tetras, Rams to name a few) and Blackwater is a different animal that the whitewater SA....

Then there are Lake Tanganyika Africans and Other Africans... all are different....

Salt you have reef tanks from different locations and each is a bit different...

There a hundreds of thousands of fish in the world and HUNDREDS of different conditions most can be condensed into about 7-10 different setups...

So just a question like what to get is actually a VERY broad question like "Im hungry, any recommendations on what to eat?". I might say eggs and toast but you may be allergic... I mean, too many options.

8. GOT MTS?

GOT MTS? Member

Don't listen to Lemon you don't want eggs and toast you want steak and potatoes.

9. jrow8162

jrow8162 Member

I've been keeping fish for 10 + years and i've learned more on this forum than anywhere else... If you like a particular type of fish there are a lot of books out there. I'm not sure if any of them cover all aquarium fish...

10. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I was just at Barnes and Noble tonight and they had tons of great books related to aquarium keeping and fish related information. They keep them in the pet section. Come to think of it I was browsing one that showed photos of the tropical fish along with the names, characteristics, etc. while my kids were browsing magna(I think that's what it was). Lol!

11. GOT MTS?

GOT MTS? Member

I got all my books from either Amazon or eBay. Saved a boat load.

By the way Lemon I was just joking :D

12. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I saved even more, because I read them in their comfy chairs while my kids were browsing the books they like...and then when I was done I put them back. Lol!

13. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

:)