1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

German Blue Rams

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by LemonDiscus, Feb 5, 2010.

1. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Thread Starter Active Member

German Blue Rams
    gbr2.jpg gbr1.jpg

2. LemonDiscus

Here are some colorful pics of them
    gbr2-.jpg gbr1.jpg

3. LemonDiscus

Is that a female breeding tube showing!?!?!?!
    gbr.jpg

4. jrow8162

jrow8162 Member

Sure looks like a tube. Those are some good looking Rams. Are those in your 125?

5. LemonDiscus

Again... old post... IDK how it made its way back up. I tried keeping GBRs about a year ago and it didnt work out too well... the pestered the discus and the discus killed them

6. jrow8162

jrow8162 Member

I have 2 in a ten gallon tank in my room. I've had them forever! Not sure what the difference is from all of my other tanks but the 10 gallon is the only one I seem to be able to keep them in.

7. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

(photos are being pulled and put in photo/video section) ;)

8. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I have them in with my discus...no issues here. I have 2 of them which were in the tank I believe BEFORE the discus. Such pretty fish (rams)

9. jrow8162

jrow8162 Member

They are very pretty fish. I'm planning on putting mine in my Discus tank as soon as all of my Discus have been purchased and are acclimated.

10. LemonDiscus

I think they are pretty too... pretty mean also... it was a wild heckel that kept batting them into the glass :)

11. jrow8162

jrow8162 Member

Man, I bet that was a site to see... I thought about moving my Rams over last night but I think i'm gonna wait. I was at my brothers house last night and he has 3 really pretty GBR's. He's had them forever! They are in a tank with 2 angels and some Clown Loaches. He has lots of rock caves and driftwood for them to hide under but they seem to like swimming around in his tank. One of the Rams was chasing his large Angel around.

12. LemonDiscus

Yeah they are pretty mean... they wont hurt the discus if the discus are healthy enough... I have lots of hiding spots in my tank too and that didnt help..

Watching it was rather funny... The move the discus did was the turn to the side and whacked its tail hitting the ram with its side... Im sure you seen discus do this to each other when they fight...

Ive seen the rams live with discus... it all depends I think... Just for me it didnt work

If you want to see something funny go to my 125 post in here and view my video on the 2nd to last page... They let me pet them some now :)

13. jrow8162

jrow8162 Member

That is awesome! Looks like they came to your hand expecting to eat! That was funny when the one bit your knuckle! Do you hand feed them?

14. LemonDiscus

Yes I do! :)

Thats why they expect to eat when my hand is in the tank... Yeah they nip at me when they are eating too... if you go to the mid-point of the video you will see me hand feeding them too... I know its like 10 minutes but I thought it would be neat to show what they do...

15. jrow8162

jrow8162 Member

Thats awesome. I'm trying to hand feed mine so that I can make sure everyone is eating. I also want to make sure the food isn't just falling into the gravel. My new Discus are Juvies. 2-3" and are really shy right now. They just started swimming around today. I noticed this morning. I'm gonna try turning the lights on in the tank tomorrow. I'm keeping it blacked out right now since they are still a little stressed.

Yours have a lot of personality! I hope I can get mine to do that.

16. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

see..I'm amazed to hear that...because my 2 rams are social I guess?
    I haven't had any issues whatsoever with them. Maybe Lucky? Or maybe it was something to do with the wilds? Dunno

17. NoThing29

NoThing29 New Member

Very nice! :)