1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

My projects

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by Anonymous, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Here is a list of my aquarium projects and tanks:

The stock list as of now is:

2 Convict cichlids *pair* + 20-30 fry + (Amatitlania nigrofasciata)
    1 Yellow Lab Malawi Cichlid (Labidochromis caeruleus)
    3 Platies (Xiphophorus maculatus)
    1 Rubber Lipped Pleco (Chaestoma milesi)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2014
  2. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Re: Hey from Chester, VA!

Also, I forgot to add the pic as my avatar is my Yellow Lab. Also, the tank has a lot more fake (but natural) plants as well as a large resin tree stump now.

My other tank is cloudy at the moment because I just switched from gravel to sand to begin my amazon biotope!

I was going for a central american biotope as pictured above but had to throw in that african because he was really charismatic in the tank and look at his colors!

I read it "shouldn't be done" but he gets along fine with the cichlids... doesn't much like the platies though when they go near his home.

3. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

Looking great. But from now on it'd be easier to post pics in the photo section since more people look there then here ;)

4. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

Agreed!

5. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Moved to the correct area.

6. drazzill

drazzill New Member

nice Lab, stunning yellow color

7. DarkDemolition

DarkDemolition New Member

Cool Tank... I like the convict look awesome..

8. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Thanks Drazzill! I rescued him from a LFS where he was in a tank with a group of sick looking "assorted african cichlids" as they were labeled. So, I had to bring him home. He is the only out of place fish in my Central American tank, but he fits in quite nicely.

9. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Updated pics since I moved all of the decorations into another tank to make room for my discus tank.

The first are of the brown algae that has started to grow. Hopefully you guys can diagnose it.

- Keeping Africans and Americans are "bad".. so the books say. WRONG haha [sarcasm] -

10. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Brown Diatom Algae.
    Stolen Knowledge since I typed most of this already to ya!
    You really cannot entirely "stop" the growth of any algae, green brown, or red, but with some good tank management practices, the rate of algae growth can be reduced. There is no such thing as an algae-free aquarium. An aquarium that never gets any algae growth is probably not a healthy environment for fish. Algae should never be controlled through the use of chemicals. Most algae-control chemicals work by inhibiting the reproduction of algae, and may also inhibit the growth of plants and beneficial bacteria. We have seen some disasterous results caused by over-use of algacides. These chemicals should only be used to get rid of green water or very bad algae problems, then good tank management alone should be used to prevent re-occurrences. It is important to remember that algae is a "plant-like" organism. Unlike a plant, it has no true roots, stems or leaves. Like a plant, it needs plenty of light and nutrients to grow (it already has the water). The first thing to look at is light. Aquariums should never be placed where they can receive a lot of direct or even indirect sunlight. Tank lights should be on no more than ten hours. The next factor is nutrients, and in aquariums, this means controlling nitrates and phosphates. Regular water changes and good filtration are important to eliminate nutrients. Vacuuming the gravel in a tank when doing a water change, removes many organics that decay into basic nitrates and phophates. A 25% water change every three to four weeks, or 10% a week, will help control the build-up of nutrients. As most city tap water contains phosphates, using reverse osmosis, distilled, or deionized water will also help. Using phosphate and/or nitrate removal media in a canister or power filter is also helpful. Water motion will also inhibit algae growth, as algae spores cannot settle and take "root" in an aquarium that has good circulation. Using small submersible pumps or powerheads in a tank, in addition to the regular filters will help add extra circulation to any aquarium.

11. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Copy and pasted all of that into a notepad for easy reference! That really clears things up for me, and for my tank, I mean that literally ;) Haha

12. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Glad to be of assistance to ya!

13. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

Yeah algae is a pain..... I get it in all of my tanks..... I get brown and green with my Angelfish breeders, green with my endlers and green and beard algae in my show tank..... You will never win the battle! Keeping Discus makes it even harder with keeping your water so warm. Adding plants adds to the problem because you increase your lighting.... fun stuff!