1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Scavenger

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by blowfishRus6, Feb 12, 2010.

1. blowfishRus6

blowfishRus6 Thread Starter New Member

yellow with black stripes down the sides, and about 4 inches long. got him from petsmart. it will swallow down some worms like its nothing too. and its not intemidated by the other fish.
    SANY0722.jpg SANY0720.jpg SANY0715.jpg SANY0713.jpg

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

is that a Raphael Catfish?

3. blowfishRus6

you tell me!! haha.

sorry, forgot about posting in this section.

it does a great job of clean up tho, it also seems to have a some what large mouth compared to other catfish i have seen so it can eat alot of things.

watching it gobble up a worm was pretty cool

4. WhiteGloveAquatics

WhiteGloveAquatics New Member

what happened to my post?

5. blowfishRus6

you forgot to hit the submit button :)

ha idk..

6. WhiteGloveAquatics

I probably did, or closed the tab, oh well.

cats arent scavengers, 98% of the subspecies of any form of cat is a predator, offer him tank leavins on the bottom or a fat ol juicy worm, yeah worm city buddy hands down. I hunt catfish been species hunting it for over 10 years now, catch ,photo,measure,release. They prefer live food over anything(who wouldnt) and are the first fish to hit the bait when it hits the water, also the biggest cat get the worm or bluegill, the biggest fish in a general area hits the prey first. I catch channel cats, the grey ugly ones on rebel craws constantly, on the surface, yes the surface.

real craw on a carolina rig OMG flathead city buddy, let that little guy do his thing with no weight on him....yeah.

Raphs are some huge cats when full grown, 9 1/2 inches, on the striped raphaels, I think other subspecies get larger. he will eat rosies when he is older, good luck with them, and they talk too.

7. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

it looks like a striped raphael catfish (platydoras armatulus) to me. if there is fish in the tank that is small enough to fit in its mouth they may become a tasty meal.

8. jrow8162

jrow8162 Member

Yep, looks like a striped raphael. Very pretty fish!

9. blowfishRus6

im trying to figure out what happend to my other crab that i had. i see one all the time, and that one has managed to climb to the top of the tank and get into my filter. i pop the top of my filter and he is just sitting there. but the other one......

maybe it climbed to the top too, fell out, and the cat ate it, or maybe i will see it running around the floor one day......

i bet that catfish is gonna try and eat the african fry that i might have one day.

10. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

depending on the size of the crab...your catfish may have something to do with the "disappearence"

yes it will and the other tankmates will as well.

11. blowfishRus6

i guess its gonna be survival of the fittest then. idk, i might try getting those smaller, i guess there catfish. gotta figure out what they are.

12. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

raphel cat

13. WhiteGloveAquatics

survival of the fittest, sounds like my guppy tank.

14. blowfishRus6

hopefully mine is gonna be like that soon. ive had one guppy in there for a while now, its all fat and what not. today i dumped about 10 more in there. the fat one has been trying to dominate everything.

15. blowfishRus6

deff a preditor fish. i had 6 of the small algae eaters and i have only seen 4 of them, might be down to even less now, i had 2 crabs and now im down to one, might be down to none. i found one of the crabs shell/skeleton in the hide out that the ralphie likes to hang out in. how does it eat a crab????

either way it got released to nature today to become part of the food chain himself.