1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

3 Pseudotropheus saulosi for 30 gallon tank?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by Sal, Jul 5, 2010.

1. Sal

Sal Thread Starter New Member

Hello
    I am interested in keeping 1 M /2 F Pseudotropheus saulosi in a 30 gallon long tank which is only 36 inches long and 12 inches wide .

These will be the only fish kept in the tank . Can it be done or not a good idea ?

Thanks

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

If you only do those 3 fish then it may work. I would just be sure to put in a lot of hiding places for the fish.

3. why_spyder

why_spyder New Member

I would suggest adding more females even with such a small tank. Ps. saulosi can get plenty aggressive so even 1-2 more females would be better.

4. Sal

Thank you both . It might work but seems tricky and not best idea ?

I just might get a 55 gall this week as better safe than sorry . This way no fish get hurt or can't escape each other .

Use the 30 for shell dwellers which by looking at the forum seem good for a 30 gall and cute.

Thanks again

5. why_spyder

why_spyder New Member

Even in a 55g there is a chance of bad things happening. A 55g can definitely hold alot more hiding material which is a big benefit, but from the experience I've had with Ps. saulosi a good M:F ratio will pay off better than a bigger tank. It doesn't take long for most mbuna to chase a fish from one end to other even in a 4' long tank. The tank size doesn't increase the number of targets for the male - just spreads them out.

I know plenty of people that have made a smaller tank work simply by making it harder for the male to target one fish (i.e. more fish).

6. Sal

"A 55g can definitely hold alot more hiding material which is a big benefit, but from the experience I've had with Ps. saulosi a good M:F ratio will pay off better than a bigger tank. "

Thank you .

I am going today after work to get a 55 gall and stand at PETCO because they are on sale $1 gallon thus would be foolish of me not to and add more room ESP since I have never kept African cichlids and looking at the posts many here seem to use 55 min .

I than plan to go 1 male 3 female with lots hide areas .

For a newbie who has never kept African cichlids 30 gallon isn't the best idea for the many here who know these fish they can make it work but does seem 55 is still their/your choice and again plan to keep the fish their whole life so 55 is best.

Thanks

7. Sal

Either way this is the 30 gall tank minus substrate .

Don't let the driftwood fool you because PH here is very high and even with driftwood the ph stays high.

I will use this tank for something else now as getting the 55 tonight.

Thanks all
    TANKB.JPG

8. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

Remember to cycle the 55 gal before you add your trophy fish. Your 30 looks great. Love the plants and wood,

9. Sal

Thank you picked up the 55 tonight and will set it up this weekend and wait month or so while it cycles before adding any fish. However will go with rock as looking at pics here its a nice look.

PH here is very high so driftwood or not ph stays high but rocks do look more natural.

I actually cycle the tanks with ghost shrimp as have zillion in backyard pond and just add a netfull and they cycle the tank .

Thanks