1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

5 or 10 gallon nano tank

Discussion in 'Saltwater Fish Forum' started by Anonymous, Oct 15, 2008.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

I was thinking about setting up a 5 or 10 gallon nano tank, no so much for corals or anything like that but maybe just a little live rock and a small fish or two. I have tanks filters and powerheads and most everything but the live rock and salt mix, can i use crushed coral as substrate instead of live sand? I think it would be really neat to play with, but is it worth it for something so small?

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Yes, you can use crushed coral substrate.

If it's worth it or not is up to you. The smaller the tank, the harder it is to keep water parameters correct and avoid fluctuating.

3. trajik ink

trajik ink New Member

not really these days...nano's have been really sought after and there's alot of new products for them to help you out.......crushed coral would be fine....try to find small rocks they make a better landscape in a small tank.....as for size i wouldn't go any lower than a ten gallon.

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

How is it easier now to keep a nano tank's water parameters stable ? The smallest saltwater tank I've ever had was a 10 gallon, which wasn't that much of a problem.

5. trajik ink

trajik ink New Member

basically the nano jbj nano is built for saltwater or planted tanks....all in one with power compact lighting......and then they sell mh's and skimmers for them now......i have seen plenty of them setup and running for yrs. and doing great.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

yes i like live sand much better than the crushed coral