1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

75 Gallon tank

Discussion in 'Saltwater Fish Forum' started by NoctuVide, Jan 15, 2009.

1. NoctuVide

NoctuVide Thread Starter Member

So today my girlfriend and I were down at one of the local pet stores, and while we were looking around we saw that they have a 75 gallon tank and a stand for it on clearance for a really good price. We both already want a larger saltwater tank then the 10 gallon I have now, so we're putting our money together next week and picking it up. We're not rushing anything, we're just going to slowly work on it, each week picking up something for it until we have the complete setup. Then like I did with the 10 gallon, add about 10lbs of live rock a week until we have all that we need for it. The one question I have is for that size tank, what works better, a HOB filter, a Sump, or a canister filter? I don't really want to mess around to much with a sump, but if that's really the best way to go, then I'll look into it.

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I've never used a sump on any of my tanks before but I've also never had a 75 saltwater. That being said if you were able to, I'd go that route. That way you can get a sump protein skimmer, put the heater down there, etc etc.

3. NoctuVide

hmmm, I never thought about being able to heat the water in the sump instead of having it in the tank. That's a good idea. I just need to learn about how to set a sump up, how it works, all that good stuff.

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I believe Nelson's used a sump before, but I could be wrong. The idea is basically the same when using it on a freshwater tank.

5. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

I would go sump too! That makes you able to hide all of your equipment!

Yes, same idea as freshwater, you take a smaller tank, put it under your main tank.... set your filtration up and put your equipment down there like your protein skimmer, heaters etc.... you throw live rock down there and even coral/snails and you have a refugium which is like a little tank under the tank that filters the big tank.... keep things down there you dont want with your livestock/corals

6. NoctuVide

so would I still put live rock in the main tank or is the live rock in the sump enough at that point? What size sump would I use for a 75gal? As for filtration, would I hook a hob or canister up to the sump or would I be just using the live rock in there as filtration?

7. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

You'd still want to put live rock in the display tank. You'd have to measure your stand to see what dimensions can fit in there, then I'd go take a look at some sumps, or you can build your own out of a 30 gallon long tank. Sumps run on pumps, not HOBs or canisters.

8. NoctuVide

I know that you need pumps for them, but what would you use to actually filter the water? just the protein skimmer and the live rock in the sump/main tank?

9. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Often times people put filter floss or the blue filter pads in one area of the sump.

10. lostanime

lostanime New Member

I definitely second using a sump too - canisters tend to be nitrate factories (through virtue of detritus trapping) and HOB's need to be cleaned very frequently as well in SW if you have much bio-load on the tank for the same reason.

Hiding equipment's very nice bonus too.

Our filtration is exclusively a skimmer in sump, deep sand bed, live rock and vigorous circulation. We'll occasionally run carbon pads but rarely run chemical or pre-filters because they are just one more thing to stay on top of and keep clean. If you skim aggressively enough and heavily use natural nitrate reduction techniques for denitrification (and do regular water changes to address trace elements and minimize allepathy/chemical warfare between corals)... the other stuff just isn't necessary.

That's my 2 cents :)

11. LemonDiscus

NoctuVide: Look up some "DIY Sumps" and "DIY Refugiums" on Google or Yahoo. There are MANY different designs and as you browse through you may find the one that you want to do. It will take a bit of construction if you do go DIY and they do sell already built kits but they do the same thing.

First things first, do a bit research and find a design you need or would like. Decide if you can do-it-yourself and if not find that design style for sale or something close.

Yes you need liverock in both tanks. Basically the sump works to add more volume to your tank. So if you have a 75 gallon tank and you choose to use a 29 gallon tank as a sump, it will give you a 104 gallon tank. Because you will only have liverock, and inverts in the sump/refugium that extra 29 gallons lets you overstock your 75 a bit more (given the fish have the space they need) because you have more water volume. So there are extra benefits along the way too besides hiding equipment, lower nitrates and all the other good stuff mentioned.

This works so well I have future plans to add a sump to my 125 gallon freshwater tank. It benefits a SW much more though than the FW

12. NoctuVide

The more I read what you guys are posting and the more I read on the net, I've realized a sump is definitely the way to go. That way I can keep pretty much all of the mechanics out of the main tank (heater, skimmer, kalkwasser dripper, etc) and keep it just a display tank. Here's another question, has anyone here used a UV sterilizer, and would that be hooked up to the piping going from the tank to the sump or from the sump to the tank?

13. LemonDiscus

It would go sump to tank. The water will overflow from the tank and gravity will pull it to the sump. The pump will pull it out of the sump and push it into the tank. So it would go between the pump and the main tank.

14. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I used a UV Sterilizer on my tank at one point, it was an in-tank unit though. If you do hook one up, don't do it until your tank cycles. At that point if you want to install one you can. It will be installed on the line that takes water back into the tank.

15. NoctuVide

The UV would kill the good bacteria as well, right? I was just looking them up and I've seen in the tank, HOB, and connect to the sump return styles. This one site was talking about connecting it to the return with T pipes so that it would slow down the water going through it a little so that it could sterilize better. But that to me seems like it wouldn't work as well because not all of the water would be going through the sterilizer? Wow...I hate being the newbie with saltwater lol

16. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Correct, it will kill the BB (Beneficial Bacteria). When you're ready to get a UV Sterilizer just get one rated for the GPH your pump is rated for.

17. lostanime

lostanime New Member

We're actually running our UV on the return pump to the main tank, but I've seen them hooked to drains/overflows (somewhat scary because they reduce flow, further raising risk that tank can overflow) and i've also seen T's that dump the "UVed" water straight back to sump. The trick with a UV filter is always run the pump rating or LESS. if you run water too fast, it wont sterilize.

UV sterilizers are not actually intended to kill bacteria and parasites - just sterilize them so they cant reproduce. It takes ALOT more UV during the very short exposure time to actually kill.

18. NoctuVide

Ok, another question. Lighting... This part of the setup is confusing the heck out of me. Some places you go say metal halide is the best, while others say Compact fluorescence is better. I know regular (Normal output) fluorescent bulbs aren't the way to go, but which other type of lighting is the best way to go? Also which brand is the most reliable? I've read up on Current, Coralife, and Aquatic life (they have a really neat programmable built in timer for day/night). I've read that some brands end up over heating with the small fans that they have and the people that bought them had to install new fans. I don't want anything that's going to completely break the bank, but I want something good.

19. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

MH or T5's only. Don't even bother with compact fluorescent or power compacts unless you have a FISH ONLY tank without any live rock. If you plan on getting corals that have high lighting requirements I'd go with MH lighting, if you're going to do "basic" corals a good T5 setup will be perfectly fine. I use T5's on my tank with star polyps, mushrooms and my anemone and they both do great.

20. NoctuVide

I'd like to do coral, but nothing that is really hard to take care of. A t5 is basically a thinner, higher output fluorescent tube, right?