1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

90 gallon african cichlid tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by NoctuVide, Nov 6, 2009.

1. NoctuVide

NoctuVide Thread Starter Member

Here are some pics of the 90 gal cichlid tank. Deff still being worked on. I still need to make some more caves and get some more fish. Also a couple of other oddball shots thrown in here. I'll try to get a pic of the young frontosa, but he's shy and likes to hide in the back of the caves, only coming out when i drop food in.

IMG_0121.jpg IMG_0031.jpg IMG_0051.jpg IMG_0188.jpg IMG_0080.jpg

2. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

very nice.. :D

3. BobV

BobV Member

what I do with my rockpiles is take rubbermaid bowls, cut notches in them, and put them under the rocks. this makes more caves, and makes the rockpile higher without the added weight

4. NoctuVide

that's actually a really good idea! I think I'm going to do that. I'll grab a few of those, and make some actual caves with just one opening, and then the rest make like 2 or 3 way openings so that they can swim through them like they do the rock caves...thanks!
    Also here's a little video I made of the tank.

5. cooltow1

cooltow1 Member

I always use 2 and 3 inch clay flower pots piled up with the rock stacked around the pile. never thought of rrubbermaid

Rick

6. NoctuVide

took a couple new pics tonight. A new one of my christmas fulu (I need a new camera with better settings...), my red peacock, and my young frontosa (he's finally making more of an appearance and not hanging out in the back all the time, though the shot came out quite blurry...again, need a new camera..)

IMG_0131.jpg IMG_0128.jpg IMG_0069.jpg

7. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

Thats looking really sweet, though one rock is looking like its going to topple or is it just me? :confused:

8. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

It does look really good!

9. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

From what I saw of the vid it looks pretty nice!
    I like the rockwork "caves" and am wondering if that's a tiger barb that I caught a couple glimpses of?

10. buzz4520

i've got a couple of these in my african tank, they seem to work out fine. i don't have all the rock like you do but if you were to get something like these then you can build your rock up around them. my socolofi has all ready cleared out all the gravel out of one trying to get one of the females to mate with him, hasn't worked yet but he's trying.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.petco.com/product/10520/Exo-Terra-Reptile-Caves.aspx?CoreCat=LN_Shopping_ReptileSupplies_ShopAll" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.petco.com/product/10520/Exo- ... es_ShopAll</a>

11. NoctuVide

yeah, another interesting story with that barb lol A guy at work gave me his 10gal tank and along with it came that barb. I didn't want to put it in my 55 gal community tank (which has now become more of a south american tank due to it having a young jurupari, a large jurupari, a severum, and a festivum) so I just figured I'd put him in the cichlid tank and just kind of see what would happen. The cichlids seem to pay no attention to him, and he's been in with them for a few months now. Also that convict, she was a fry someone needed to get rid of, so i took her and put her in a 10gal I had setup at the time. Then it came to point where again, I didn't want to put her in the 55 community so I decided to put her in with the africans. Like the barb, they pay no attention to each other. It's strange when mixes work like that.
    I like the idea of those kind of caves as well. I'm thinking now that I might get a couple of those, as well as a couple rubbermaid bowls, put those caves towards the front so it looks more natural, and the rubbermaid bowls towards the back to hide them more. Thanks for the good ideas!

12. NoctuVide

I got a couple new ones for the tank today. An Eretmodus cyanostictus (Goby Cichlid) and a Copadichromis borleyi (Red fin). I haven't gotten the chance to take a pic of the red fin, but here's one of the eretmodus. He's pretty shy right now, and I'm pretty sure it's because of the afra "white top", who's taking a ride with me tomorrow back to ned's (just way to aggressive). While I'm there I'm planning on picking up a couple more cichlids, so I should have more pics soon of whatever I get.
    IMG_0003.jpg

13. buzz4520

looks really nice.

14. CichlidStorm

CichlidStorm Member

Noctu, tank looks great. How about a background in the future plans? That would keep all your lighting where it lights up the fish more and makes your tank look significantly cleaner and clearer. Awesome setup.

15. NoctuVide

yeah, I've been thinking about what i want to do for the background. Right now I have a piece of cloth hanging against the back, but it really doesn't look that great, and the Diatom algae background looks disgusting. Any ideas or suggestions? I'm not big on the "buy a sheet of background and stick it to the back" type of backgrounds unless it was something different than you usually see.

16. CichlidStorm

CichlidStorm Member

I personally prefer a solid dark blue or black. But you can also get extremely creative and make an "in-tank" background. 1/4" sheet of styro, GE silicone 1, and a bunch of small pieces of slate rock, silicone and cover the styro until it's hidden, makes an incredible natural look, and you don't even have to drain the tank, it will be heavy enough to just slide in and enjoy.

17. NoctuVide

yeah, after i left that last post i decided to see what the was on the net for backgrounds. I saw a lot of DIY projects like the one you mentioned but I'm not quite that creative lol They also sell already made backgrounds that look amazing, but are way to much $$$ lol Eh, maybe I'll just bite the bullet and buy one of those cling on backgrounds. I like your idea of black or dark blue.

18. CichlidStorm

CichlidStorm Member

the solid colors keep your eyes in the tank, and away from the background.

19. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

oceanvision backgrounds are REALLY nice...they have the dark blue and crystal black too!
    <a class="postlink" href="http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/cat/infoL3/22813/category.web" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/cat/inf ... tegory.web</a>

this shows all of them (except the mirror one-its newer)--> <a class="postlink" href="http://www.petscapeproducts.com/index.cfm?action=cat.prodInfo&productID=20&categoryID=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.petscapeproducts.com/index.c ... tegoryID=1</a>

20. NoctuVide

On the retailer search on that website it says there's a store right down the road from where I live that sells those. I'll have to go and see what they actually have there. Those sound so much better than the usual background being that they are self adhesive, you don't have to worry about using tape or glue, and they are one solid color. Thanks for the suggestions! :-D