1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

about to build my sump, got ???'s

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by blowfishRus6, Feb 9, 2010.

1. blowfishRus6

blowfishRus6 Thread Starter New Member

okay, this is for my 75gal. i have my tubaware bin, smaller bucket to hold filter media.

this is the set up im going for as far as the tubaware bin and smaller filter bucket.

im not gonna use pvc pipes, maybe one day, for now it will just be hoses.

im going later on today to get this pump, the 1017gph model
    and im also gonna pick up the filter media, filter pads, bio balls so on....

i need help figuring out an overflow box. one that will stop if the water gets to low, and start back up when the level gets high enough. pretty much like this.

any help, tips, guidance will be appreciated!!

2. WhiteGloveAquatics

WhiteGloveAquatics New Member

3. blowfishRus6

ha i ment the plastic 20gal buckets. i cant think what its called.

4. WhiteGloveAquatics

WhiteGloveAquatics New Member

rubbermaid!!!

there are DIY overflows out there I bought a CPR with around 1000 gph capacity

5. blowfishRus6

yea, rubbermaid!!! ha.

is there ways that i will get a faster overflow than other ways??

6. cooltow1

cooltow1 Member

I have made a few overflows in my time, but it always seems like the parts list for diy overflows can be a little tricky. They often require bulkheads or other hard to find parts. This overflow is easy to make and all of the parts will be available at your local hardware store. The total price for the parts for this build is less than $15.00.
    DIY - Do It Yourself Aquarium Overflow

7. blowfishRus6

nice man!!!!!!

okay i have a few questions. sorry if they were clearly answered in the write up :/ im still a little lost...

1. how does it start flowing??? once you prime that little air house it will just start going???

2. if it stops flowing (water level gets to low) once the water level gets back up there, will it start flowing again or will i need to reprime it???

3. the secound (red tube) is in the water but not sucking water??? or does it not go into the water???

8. cooltow1

cooltow1 Member

1) yes
    2} yes, no need to prime
    3} Not in water, just used to hang over flow and help with priming

Rick

9. blowfishRus6

gotcha, thanks!!!

the pump was not at the store so now i have to wait about a week for them to deliver it :/

what kind of filter media do yall recemend??? i forgot to pick up bio balls so i was thinking about just using the dish scruber pads, what do you think?? also gonna use foam pads on top of that.

should i put gravel (crushed coral for my african cichlids) in the sump??? later on i would like to put some plants in there with a little light overhead.

any other things i should maybe put in there?? its not crazy big so i dont have a whole lot of room.

10. cooltow1

cooltow1 Member

I use pot scrubber pads myself, Because they're cheap.
    If you need a bunch. I can buy @ 5.07 each if you buy by the 1000

Crushed coral will hold the pH @ 7.0 or a little above but to really boost the pH you will most likely need to dose Sodium Bicarbonate rises kH but not gH or Calcium Hydroxide rises both gH and kH

Plant's good or an algae scrubber

Rick

11. blowfishRus6

aight, enlighten me. kH and gH, kH is the alkaline buffer, so i read. is that like the active carbon?? what do they do??

im gonna stop there. because im highly confussed on what they do.

basically could someone break all this down to a dummies guide. basically what each one does, why you need it, and how you get it.

i test amonium and ph. i do my frequent water changes, i do not run active carbon, i do add the aquarium salt every water change. i use a water decloriniser for my faucet water (which comes out a very high ph i must add. i need better test kits :/ all i know is its easily 7.8)

is there menerials i should add to my tank for fish health??

haha if that dident open a can of worms......

12. cooltow1

cooltow1 Member

First off what are you planning on keeping?
    Crushed coral goes a great job stabilizing the pH in an aquarium. It just not go to rise your pH much passed 7.0 im most cases
    I personally would mess with the pH

Rick

13. blowfishRus6

all african cichlids. with the exception of my crabs, catfish, algae eaters.

the crushed coral i put in there the first time said it maintains 7.5 ph. the crushed coral that i just bought did not mention anything. just that its good for africans.

the water that comes out of my faucet is a pretty high ph, maxes out my chart, 7.6-7.8 and the water in the tank stays atleast 7.6-7.8. i dont know tho, i gotta get a higher range ph reader.

14. blowfishRus6

well, ups was supposed to be here today with my pump but were getting snow, yea were getting snow in GEORGIA. you northern guys must be snowed out.

i wanna get this thing built :/

you guys have any tips/tricks on where to put the filter inlet to get this best filtration, maybe up top in the water, maybe down low??? also what about the return line, should i face it into a corner to try and create a wurlpool effect??

im going to contine to run my hang on the back 300gph filter. if anything i might extend its pick up to the bottom to try and get the dirt down there.

the pleco sure does leave a mess everywhere.

15. blowfishRus6

also, with the bio balls/dish scrubbers (which ever i finally go with) will they hold enough of the good bacteria??? im gonna put gravel in the bottom of my sump thinking that will also hold some of the good bacteria then when i vacume out my tank i dont have to worry about sucking up/cleaning the good bacteria.

what do yall think??

16. blowfishRus6

yea ph is easily 7.6+ ill probably stick with the crushed coral in the sump.

17. Cay

Cay New Member

im running something similar on my 360 gal .... running 1800gph with two 2"dia pvc diy overflow. its amazing how it auto starts even after water changes and stuff . its not like those hangon overflow box where it just stops when water gets below. i have to say those water level is hard to control, and it can create quite a gurgle if the intake is just pvc pipe. and be aware of flow rate. 2x 2" dia can barely handle 1800gph.

and one more thing, for filter media, go for scrubbies :D waaaay better than bio ball : )

18. blowfishRus6

i built the 3/4 pipe over flow and it was not near enough. so right now i have 1 1/2 sittin in the floor ready to get built. then im gonna run both of them. then depending on which part flows the best, the overflows or the pump, ill put a gang valve on it and try and even out the flow.

the pvc pipe is a little loud with the gurgle. and when yours starts to flow again, does it pick right back up where it left off?? mine starts to flow but not as good as it was, i usally have to reprime it to get it flowing good again. but i might not be giving it enough time, i gotta play with it more.

and dang scrubbies are 1.50$ for 2 of them and im thinking im gonna need about 20. when ever i go in somewhere they never have enough for me to get all at once so i just hold off thinking i will find a better deal.

19. blowfishRus6

hopefully this will get the job done. 3/4 pipe compared to 1.5in pipe. both will be ran also.

ai441.photobucket.com_albums_qq133_blowfishRus6_SANY0727.jpg

20. cooltow1

cooltow1 Member

I think you stated your return pump is a 750 gal/hr @ 0 head
    The 1.5" will flow 990 gal/hr @ 36" of head
    The 3/4" will flow 248 gal/hr @ 36" of head
    So that a total of 1250+/= gal/hr should have on problem staying ahead of the pump

Rick