1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Added more plants to my 125 Discus tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by LemonDiscus, Sep 21, 2008.

1. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Thread Starter Active Member

2. noshow discus

noshow discus New Member

Lemon without having seen your tank in person and only from pictures may i suggest some ricca or couple of moss balls for the darker side of the tank or perhaps an increase of sand or gravel . Perhaps a really branchy piece of drift wood or a long limb like piece.

The reason i say this is because you have the makings of a good tank and from the pictures the darker end looks slightly plain and from the pictures it takes away kind of.

Now i am not bashing you set up just offering a bit of advice is all.

3. LemonDiscus

I did not think you were bashing.... I have a long ways to go with this tank. It is only a little over a month as a discus tank so.....

The moss balls? Un-ball them and lay it out or leave it as a ball? I know I need more on that side, just with the lighting I dont know what to do. I do appreciate the suggestions.

Also I have a HOB filter ( Penguin Bio-Wheel) and dont want the discus to spawn on the tube so another reason there is not much there, I dont want that to entice the discus to breed there.

4. noshow discus

noshow discus New Member

asfar as the lift tube if they breed on it they will leavrn that isnt a good place hell mine breed on everything except the cone quite a few times.

You have seen my tank and noticed that the light doesnt bother the discus plus you are running Blackwater so light shouldnt be an issue on that side of the tank.

Oh and tell yur wife you need like 80 bucks for plants and if you live thru that then maybe ill ask mine for a new tank lol

btw i did start you on plant fever did i?

5. LemonDiscus

I have had plant fever.

I am convincing the wife first (she already agreed) for the equipment to build the hood. That will be a few weeks but I am going to buy 2 sets of 2 tube 2" light strips to mount to the hood. Then I can plant the other side too!!! :D :D

6. luvfish

luvfish New Member

Your tank is shaping up nicely!!! ;) I really like the looks of your plants and once you get the hood done and the other side planted that tank is going to be awesome!! :cool:

Any recent shots of your fish? :D

7. LemonDiscus

No recent shots. Actually my 2 blue discus have almost outgrown my yellow discus. I have definitely came to the conclusion that my yellow one is stunted.

And that mail-order (ebay) sword I got is over on the left side of the tank. On to the left side now :)

8. LemonDiscus

Ahh mis-post on the fish pictures. This is the tread with the evo of the tank

The fry tank circled is what I meant by the hanging 1/2 gallon and the discus are stuck in the bright side the tank (they seem to like that side better anyhow)

Angels spawned on the leaf that is circled in the middle
    tankNewSetup.jpg

9. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Looking good. ;)

10. LemonDiscus

Thank you. Oh all the plants on the dark half are baby plants from the parents on the right side. I said I would get down there. I just wanted more importantly to grow some plants quick.... and what do they need... LIGHT and the left side really does not have much. They will grow there, just not as fast.

lol, looking back that slate has moved all over the tank almost.... well when I had the oscars in here the slate was kept on the left side of the tank. :D

11. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I was wondering if half the tank was darker or if it was just the way the picture was taken.

12. LemonDiscus

Yeah, my light on the left is for some reason really dim. I have grown to like the light for the particular type of aquarium I have. Later, when and if I get the money to build my hood that light will be used for the sunrise and sunset stage of my lighting. I am going to put the lights on a timer with 4 bright bulbs in the day for about 8 hours and run 2 dimmer ones for an hour or 2 in the morning and night. At night I am planning on some moonlight LED's

13. LemonDiscus

Updated with the grass in the tank.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Looks great! How fast do the plants grow? I only bought 3 tonight and my tank looks so bare..

15. LemonDiscus

Depends, Amazon Sword - Slow, Anubias - Slow, Java Fern - Fast, Hygrophillia - Fast, Cabomba - Fast (dies quick in my tank too)

The grass I have no clue.... but that is all that is in my tank

16. mujacko2002

mujacko2002 New Member

Mabuhay!

Wow, very nice long aquarium, beautiful discus and nice plants. Are you dosing CO2 into this tank?

Plants :
    Moss balls would be a good addition to the tank just let them be all rolled-up. Vallisneria (proven) is also a good indirect/low light plant and as a background too. Anubias, bolbitis, java fern, and christmas moss can be attached to your driftwood and may thrive with your current light setup. The green/red cabombas are high-light plants and may have a difficult time thriving in your tank or may not at all. Thai stricta and most crypts are low light plants too. Echinodorus species just place them where most of your lights are they'll pull through.

what kind of grass have you bought?

thanks for sharing

TIA

Godbless

17. LemonDiscus

No, No CO2 injections.

I am waiting a bit on Java Moss, but I have 2 Amazon Swords, 1 Anubias, Java Fern, Green Cabomba (your right it is not really thriving, more just living), and Hygorphillia.

The grass was an outdoor ornamental grass that I broke pieces off of to experment a bit. It seems to be doing ok in the tank after 1 day and a half underwater. It may take bit longer to see if it works or not though. I dont know what the grass is as it was in my garden outside.

18. LemonDiscus

Updated photos of the tank, I did some re-arranging so the water is not as clear as it has been but here we go:
    downTank.jpg leftOfTank.jpg tank10-20.jpg

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Looking good!

20. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I think it looks really good now. ;)