1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

aloha from CT..

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by phishin, Feb 25, 2009.

1. phishin

phishin Thread Starter New Member

....probably the highest taxed state in the country. Do not move here. :D

Anyhow, new to the site, just checking in. I have a 54 corner bow with some plants and a few swimmers. couple angels, tiger barbs, a small cichlid, couple tetras, and a fire eel. Still trying to set the tank up as far as looks wise, as my artistic side is horrible, i can't even draw a stick figure to save my life.
    I cycled the tank for about 6 weeks before putting any fish.

The plants are new, and not sure if i got the right ones to blend in, i was thinking of getting a dark blue background to wrap around the back...any ideas on how to make her shine?

-Gabe

2. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

If you dont have any dark fish it might be nice to get a dark background so you can see the fish more!

And welcome to the forum ! :)

3. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

Welcome... I have been trying to convince another member on here to go with a larger corner bow! They make great space fillers and look wonderful!

Paint the back! Well, make sure you pick the color you want as it is hard to change, plant it up, ad some driftwood and some rocks and your tank will be rocking! :)

4. phishin

Just added a pic. Paint the back??

5. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Welcome Gabe. I'm fond of white backgrounds, but that's just me.

6. jrow8162

jrow8162 Member

I just changed my 55 gal over to a solid black background. It really brought out the color of my rocks and my fish...

7. phishin

I read that a darker setting makes the lighter and brightly colored fish showoff their full color potential... any truth to that ?

8. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

Wow I like the tank.. I always loved corners and I'm planning to get one myself.

You should definatly add some more plants and rocks :D
    Yes painting is a cheap way (Looks better in some cases) to get a background :)

9. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Latex spray paint works well. Tape off the edged and do a few coats.

10. LemonDiscus

I would! It looks cleaner than the plastic backgrounds.... BUT you have to pick the color you want to keep and its VERY hard to change it later!

Great looking tank!!! I SO LOVE those tanks!

My background is painted solid black to make the plants stand out. I use the plants and wood as the "background image" for the fish in the tank. Thats my preference though. I have seen blue, white and black look good.

11. phishin

Here's maybe a dumb question... Is there any water safe paint that i can paint my eheim tubes with?? The green is going to kill any darker background i do.

12. LemonDiscus

I dont know, I would be fearful to paint anything in the tank? I would just buy new intake tubes or kid the tubes with a plant.

13. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

You can paint them. I thought it was latex paint but I'm not completely sure.

14. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Hi, Welcome!
    I've read where people have used Krylon Fusion Spray paint successfully on intake tubes. I know Wal-mart carries an assortment of colors.
    Also, backgrounds can be created with NUMEROUS things...ie. Moss wall, shower curtain, tablecloth (party banquet ones at the $1 tree come in tons of colors), melamine/a.k.a. shower board, I've even used 3 fold foam project board that comes in some nice colors (blue).