1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Angelfish Irregularity

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by stevenrox, Sep 29, 2008.

1. stevenrox

stevenrox Thread Starter New Member

i got these new angel fishes dont no what type but they are a proven pair i saw themlay eggs before i moved them to a bigger tank and they ussually lay egss every 2 weeks and the last time was like 4 weeks ago(they been in the tank for like 1 week a lil more) im wondering are the getting used to the tank or am i not doing something right?

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Re: my angels

Is the tank going through a cycle ?

3. stevenrox

? im not sure wat you mean but yea the tank was cycled and theres like 2 air pumps

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

How long was the new tank up and running before you put the fish in there, also were the filters brand new, if not did you clean them really well before moving them to the new tank etc?

5. stevenrox

well they tank was already set up with a couple guppies in there wich i switch their tanks and the water was change 5% b4 they got in and everything was cleaned

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

When you cleaned everything you might have lost all the beneficial bacteria, causing your tank to lose its stability. Basically, your tank cant convert the bio load of the fish yet. How long were the guppies in there before the angels and after the cleaning?

7. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

A "Cycle" is what is known as the Ammonia-Nitrite-Nitrate cycle. Here is how a tank starts:
    Step 1 - First fish added to a new tank/filter, Fish eat and poop. Their poop releases nitrites and ammonia into the tank.

Step 2 - Ammonia/Nitrite elevates into the tank to a high lever (dangerously to most fish)

Step 3 - Your filter media (filter bag, bio-wheel, filter or whatever you have in it) starts growing good little bacteria

Step 4 - That good bacteria feeds on the ammonia and the nitrites.

Step 5 - Those good bacteria "poop"/release nitrate as they reduce nitrite and ammonia . This lowers nitrite/ammonia (REALLY BAD toxins) but spikes nitrate (sorta bad toxin... not good but better than nitrite and ammonia)

Step 6 - You do a water change and lower the ppm (parts per million) level of the nitrate toxin (without plants and even with THIS is where water changes are VITAL)

Step 7 - The bacteria lives in the filter til you get rid of it (ie: removing all filter media from your filter and changing, rinsing your filter out in chlorinated water, rinsing your substrate in chlorinated water, if you have a bio wheel rinsing your wheel in chlorinated water or changing it (NEVER do unless necessary) and I know there are a few other things I have missed.

Point - If your tank is new it is going to go through this cycle almost no questions asked. If you changed all of your filters at the same time you will probably start a cycle (assuming you have a HOB (Hang on Back) filter like a Whisper and you have 2 filter bags and you changed both or if you only have 1 and you changed it - danger in small tanks with the little filters), a Bio-wheel is a HOB filter but has wheels that spin that grow bacteria.... that is good.

So when they ask if your tank is in a cycle they mean is it new or did you do some HEAVY cleaning to it all at one time? Another bad thing is to change 50% of you water, change your filters AND vacuum your substrate all at the same time.... stage it..... one day change a filter, next day vacuum, wait a few days change some water.... then a few days later change the other filter bag..... this is a long way of doing it but it does make cleaning safer on the fish. Of course you can vacuum and change water together but my point is do NOT clean everything at once.... that WILL start a cycle

I hope that this clears up the "cycle" of a tank

8. stevenrox

not be mean or anything but wow thanks for the long speech but im lost and now my head hurst to

9. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

lol, its ok.... I have read WAY too much about fish over the years and asked tons of questions myself.

Just wanted to answer the question thoroughly. If you have a question you can PM me and I can describe a smaller section if you want or whatever you do not understand.

It takes about a week to get to the bacteria growth after adding fish UNLESS you cleaned the filter.

:D

10. noshow discus

noshow discus New Member

they are probally getting used to the new tank...start feeding Blood worms every other day and do water change every three days lots of food and clean water brings mine into breeding