1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

aquarium stones from landscape co. & hardware stores

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by Anonymous, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Aquarium Stones

Today I stopped by a place called Mikes Rock and Mulch or something and the deals you could get there or at a similar place in your local area are unreal. I got 50 lbs of rock for 14 bucks. What I got today was 4 river boulders that are all about 6"-7" tall x 8"-9" wide, big rocks basically to sit a large piece of driftwood upon to create a shelf. I also got some random pieces of slate to add to my african tank. Anyway, you can take a 5 gallon bucket and they will fill it with whatever gravel you want for 5 bucks, they even had a coral gravel that I assume you could crush to make a finer grain. Anyway, next time you need gravel for your fw tank do not waste your money at a fish store, check the phone book for your local stone guy! :D

2. crazhrse

crazhrse New Member

Re: Aquarium Stones

just make sure you wash it really good

3. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

I scrubbed each rock, and soaked in water as hot as I could get it for a half hour, then refilled the bucket again with the hottest water possible (I have no stove) and a strong batch of rid ich to kill and parasites etc for a half hour. Then soaked again in water for a few hours, refreshing the hot water every 45 mins or so. Then rescrubbed the rocks with the wire brush and rinsed them off one last time.

4. crazhrse

crazhrse New Member

damn you gonna eat them or put them in your tank kid.......that should be good

5. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

:)

6. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

I figure if I aint willing to lick em why would they wanna live with em. :)