1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Aquarium Supplies/fish

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Laurie, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Laurie

Laurie Thread Starter New Member

Hello to all my fellow aquarist,

Where do you all go to look for used aquarium stuff besides craig's list? I have saved several sites but, I haven't actually purchased anything outside of my local fish store's, except @ petmountain.com for my filter's and the experience was great! I'm leary about ordering fish online. I was told that Dr's Foster & Smith Aquatics was reliable? Has anyone ordered from them and how was your experience? Tell me about other sites I can trust.

By the way, I have a FOWLR Marine set-up; 28g Aqua pod for 2 years now and I just purchased a 75g to transfer my fish into when I move in 3 weeks. I am keeping the Aqua pod for a quarantine tank. My question finally is, should I put all of the saltwater back in the 28g tank or should I use some to help acclamate my new 75g set-up? I want to get them both up and running during my move. Any suggestions will help.

Thanks, Laurie

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Welcome to the forum Laurie.

Really for used supplies craigslist normally offers the most. Our forum has some as well.

I've ordered from Foster and Smith, not live fish though.

I would keep all the water since you're moving to a new location. You won't be sure what the water parameters are just yet so it will be best to keep what you have and slowly add new water. That's what I'd do anyway.

3. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Hey, Welcome to the forum!!![/quote]
    A place for used aquarium stuff (besides Craigslist) would be somewhere like Thrift Stores, Ebay, Flea Markets, and sometimes Aquabid.

As far as ordering livestock online I've only used Ebay, Aquabid, and Saltwater.com (extremely positive experience) so can't comment on foster and smith other than using them for Dry goods (which was positive experience for those by the way).

As for other fish stores you might wanna check the fish store review section here.

As for the question regarding using the saltwater from one tank for the other...it definitely wouldn't hurt, but what would be better is if you have a filter w/ media from the previous tank (of which you could run on the newly setup one) to get a nice colony of Beneficial bacteria starting.

4. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

welcome.

5. Laurie

Laurie Thread Starter New Member

Thanks to all who answered my Q's. I do have extra media so, I will use it and I'll keep all the water and use it too. :) I look forward to many chat's in the future once I move. Laurie