1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

AquariumGuys.com

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by MOD_Dawn, Apr 14, 2010.

1. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Thread Starter Active Member

Store: AquariumGuys.com
    Phone Number: 866-619-3609
    Questions: support@aquariumguys.com

I'll keep this factual,
    I placed an order online with this company on April 7, 2010.
    According to my paypal statement the payment went to Turn 5, Inc. and will appear on my credit card statement under yet another name "*XOXIDE COM"??

According to FedEx they shipped very quickly (April 8, 2010) & I received everything on April 9, 2010. No issues here, who doesn't like fast shipping!

The problem I encountered was that the aquarium light that I had ordered was not what I had expected to receive. It looked like a cheap knock off...why do I say this?
    Because the ends of the acrylic splashgaurd were blackened, the caps where the bulbs should thread into were oddly sloped and loose, and I've owned enough light fixtures that I pretty much know what to expect from the manufacture. Could I be wrong? Maybe, but I highly doubt it given the stores reply about the "darkening/blackening" of the splashguard.

2. MOD_Dawn

I contacted them via e-mail on the 9th
    And re-contacted them via e-mail on the 10th providing photos (had to charge the camera)
    100_0046.jpg 100_0048.jpg 100_0049.jpg 100_0052.jpg

3. MOD_Dawn

after waiting a few days I went through Paypal and filed a dispute and escalated it to a claim since I never received a reply back from the retailer.

Paypal basically looks at it like you received something (doesn't matter if it's what you were supposed to or not) and gives me this reply
    but some good came out of the claim, the seller actually sent a response...of course not until AFTER the claim was filed (this was received on the 13th):

4. MOD_Dawn

Apparently customer support has a comprehension problem...the fixture was never used...simply opened and examined and part of my order was a 30" glass canopy which I had planned on using. Lol!

So here goes my reply back to them (sent on the 13th):

5. MOD_Dawn

Now today I receive a e-mailed fedex label with the information being wrong on it (my name, addy, phone number, no of returns, and value of return).
    According to the e-mail I'm to call 717-299-5691 if anything appears incorrectly.

I call this number and it goes to fish.com ?? I explain that I am trying to return a order to aquariumguys.com and that this number was listed as a contact if anything appeared incorrectly on the label...the woman tells me they order from there store, but they have nothing to do with this and I should be contacting them directly. I inform her that her store number was listed as a contact on the fedex label and that the website doesn't list an actual phone number and that I've tried to e-mail them. She then goes and gives me what she believes to be there number (866-619-3609) and tells me to try that number.

I call the number and it goes to them alright, but directly to a voice mail...I leave a message telling them the label they sent was completely wrong and to contact me regarding this because I want to get there products back to them. I also play it safe and send an e-mail stating the same thing.

6. MOD_Dawn

In the meantime,
    I contact my credit card company and explain what is going on...they tell me to give it a day or two and if they don't accept the return that the most I will be out is the return shipping of the products and that they will refund me the initial purchase price & shipping that I paid for the order once I provide them with a delivery confirmation showing I returned it to the address they gave me. They said then it will be Paypal's problem to get it back to the retailer (regardless of what paypal said about not being able to do anything).

7. MOD_Dawn

Why wouldn't I buy from them again?

#1 Too many names comes across as shady to me (order from aquariumguys>>payment shows as Turn 5, Inc>> cc statement shows it as being *XOXIDE COM>>contact number going to fish.com).

#2 Not listing a phone number and only giving a e-mail (that shoulda set off a red flag, but I was more focused on saving money...they had the product the cheapest & I didn't have to leave home to get it)

#3 Not responding until AFTER claim was filed, and apparently they didn't read/comprehend the initial e-mail sent because the response that was received made it sound like the fixture was used and that water was causing the blackening of the acrylic splashgaurds ends.
    Sidenote: this "blackening" was already there when I received it. If you can't tell by the photos, it looks like someone stained the ends to conceal the fact that the bulbs don't reach fully across the fixture. ...

What I've learned about 30" fixtures:
    After all this I've learned there are no 30" L Bulbs, and that the closest you can come to a 30" bulb is this fixture--> http://www.petstore.com/ps_viewitem...se&utm_campaign=pscseggl2&utm_content=ES08601 with bulbs being about 26.5"-27.5" long

8. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

Great advice and research. Thanks for the info.

9. MOD_Dawn

Your welcome, hoping to save someone else from the headache of this retailer.

10. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

let us know what fixture you end up with as 30" wide tanks are a pain for lighting. Your research and knowledge makes great advice. Thanks Ursi

11. MOD_Dawn

gonna go with :
    C) 30 Inch Coralife Aqualight Dual T5 Lamp High Output Fixture
    $97.49 CoraLife High Output T5 Lamp Fixtures Freshwater
    (1) 30" 31W T5 HO 10,000 K Lamp
    (1) 30" 31W T5 HO 420 nm Lamp
    and swapping out the 420nm bulb for a colormax one...bulbs are said to be 27.5"
    ((3.1 TWPG))...bulbs about $11.77 @ petblvd.

20 Gallon Long Tank, Planted Aquarium

according to the reviews the bulb is the closest I'm gonna get to 30"...and I'll swap out the actnic for a colormax.

12. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

Sounds good

13. MOD_Dawn

aquariumguys responded to my e-mail about there label being incorrect...
    Mind you, the label information is still showing as incorrect :rolleyes:

14. WhiteGloveAquatics

WhiteGloveAquatics New Member

Funny, I was going to order from them but did a little right clicking and inspecting elements to the webpage,too much discrepancies on the webpage to consider it professional and a decent company to deal with. my old man does this stuff for a living(e-learning/web design) and I sent him the link to reassure me that I was wrong but even he said that its a crock.

15. MOD_Dawn

I just printed there fedex label and wrote my corrections over top of it..I got tired of waiting to hear back and have it corrected.
    Scheduled it for pickup on monday ... shot an e-mail off to them giving them the tracking and telling them as soon as they receive it I want my money promptly refunded (all of it).

If not, then all I have to do is fill out the cc form with the tracking showing it went back and they received it and they will do the refund.

Can't wait to just be DONE with all this!

16. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

You want the money for the shipping refunded also?

17. MOD_Dawn

absolutely,
    this fixture looks like a knock off...there is supposed to be NO blackening of the acrylic splashgaurd..the part where the bulb slides into is so loose that you'd have to hold one side up by hand while threading the bulb into the other...and the fixture is listed as a 30" with the bulbs supposedly being 30" (how was I to know there are only 24" bulbs...besides the new 31w ones that are about 27.5 - 29.5" in length).

AND it was already agreed upon that a full refund (shipping included) would be returned if I were to return the entire order.

18. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

Buckle up! It's going to be a rough ride. Dawn your amazing at this stuff. I'm impressed.

19. WhiteGloveAquatics

WhiteGloveAquatics New Member

kick their arse Dawn!

20. MOD_Dawn

this is one customer that won't be taken advantage of from a shady retailer. :)