1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

are my fishy trying to breed?

Discussion in 'Freshwater General Discussion' started by Leslie, Aug 8, 2008.

1. Leslie

Leslie Thread Starter New Member

are my fishy trying to breed?

I was woundering if they were. I am guessing it is the male but one is chasing the other 2 around alot. i never paid attention to the fish i had before so i dunno. anyone know??

2. trajik ink

trajik ink New Member

i think he's establishing some territory, usually when fish breed they stay together, some twitch and others do crazier things.

3. Leslie

Leslie Thread Starter New Member

he stays close with one fish more than the other.

4. trajik ink

trajik ink New Member

then you might have a match....congrats!!

5. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

when breeding you'll usually see the male chasing the female around in the tank...he'll also swim sorta twitchy in front of her and sometimes you can see what looks like oil being released while he's trying to inseminate her. At least it's that way for the livebearers...kept them for almost 10 years! Always like waking up to find babies hiding in the substrate and behind the overhead of the power filter.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    missy66 Posted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:22 pm all the time i had fish i never seen them inseminate a female or any oily substance come out,would definitely like to see it

Stevenrox Posted Posted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:29 pm thats how my long skirted tetras wer until one of them just disappeared

Wee-Bay Posted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:51 pm by disappeared do you mean died?

Stevenrox Posted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:34 pm i dont no i mean it DISAPPERERED i searched under the tanks every were and still no body or anything it just vanished

Wee-Bay Posted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:51 pm eaten.

Stevenrox Posted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:11 pm but what angels