1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Attention smokers

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by YellowCichlid, Mar 12, 2010.

1. YellowCichlid

YellowCichlid Thread Starter New Member

I just happen to see something on TV about aquarium fish deaths related to cigarette smoking from their keepers. To anyone that smokes and uses bubblers... This is putting all those toxins from the smoke right into your fish tank. I never really thought about it before but it makes perfect sense. Now it does take a lot of smoke to kill them quickly but "normal" smoking was shown to shorten their life span.

2. MasterBlue

MasterBlue Active Member

Another good reason to stop smoking =D

My mother once was smoking in my room, and the next day my triops all died... =C Thats enough proof for me!

3. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Extremely interesting.

4. WhiteGloveAquatics

WhiteGloveAquatics New Member

Triops didnt die from that, they only live barely 60 days, i got em and smoke.

5. blowfishRus6

blowfishRus6 New Member

maybe they would live longer if you dident :)

6. WhiteGloveAquatics

cant fix evolution....they only live 60 days max in captivity MAYBE a full 60 in the wild. they are a short lived creature, not bad for suspended animation. The trick is not to smoke near anything but a window.

7. MasterBlue

MasterBlue Active Member

My mom smoked as she looked into the tank XD
    Mine live about 65 to 80 days normally. If I don't kill them XD I hav a habit of forgetting them while I live my life, and sadly then end up short on food, and some times I spray chemicals in my room if I'm in a hurry, so yea =/ A direct spray to the tank's water will kill health Triops in about 6 hours. Also my room is at the mercy of the weather, so it's subject to wide temperature ranges... And well, My room is a hazard to Triops mostly. I got a heater over the winter and now that it's getting warm, the temperature gets about 85-90 in there tank... Then it gets cold at night again, about 55-60. I think the heater broke XD

8. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

With all that you have said here I don't think that smoking can be pointed out as the definitive cause of the death of your fish.

9. WhiteGloveAquatics

it wont kill them it will take a long time for them to die like that, are you sure she didnt drop an ash into the tank on accident? I know that will instantly kill everything in a tank.

10. MasterBlue

MasterBlue Active Member

Well, most of that's recent events ( that I am working on fixing mind you). at the time of the "smoke death", I was overly cautious. It was the only thing I could think of was when she blew smoke on the water as she breathed... But ya never know =P

11. James0816

James0816 New Member

Well....smoking is just bad period. ;o)

12. MasterBlue

MasterBlue Active Member

It's pretty likely =P

13. WhiteGloveAquatics

Depends on who you ask, a health insurance company sure, a tobacco company will say its not bad for you. Either way thats not the debate nor arguement just someones .02 on the matter.

Ive blown smoke onto my tank water before with no ill effect, I dont do it all the time but sometimes you forget its there or you are relaxing and killing yourself slowly and something urgently requires your attention in the tank.

I can say forsure that very very minute concentrations in the air that can possibly get sucked into the pump and then pass its thick filter, however it was more then likely an ash but if it was an ash the everything living in the tank will die rather quickly if not instantly.

14. BobV

BobV Member

Exactly how long does smoking in the fishroom take to kill fish? I've been smoking in my fishroom for 10 years. I'm tired of goody two shoes blaming everything from the Vietnam war to hang nails on smoking. People here are now complaining about cigarette smoke blowing into their cars at redlights.....my soloution: if you are that concerned, run the light. Smokers have SOME rights too.

15. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Like anything else, I guess it depends on how much smoke is in the air. This isn't something I'd worry about unless you use the bubblers. They're taking air from the room and pumping it into the tank, without that smoking in the room probably doesn't matter much unless you're using the tank as an ashtray.

16. HBIC

I don't understand what it would matter if you were using a bubbler or not, surface movement is what adds O2 to the tank so it wouldn't matter if you were using a bubbler or not any surface movement would then put the smoke into the tank. I smoke 3 packs of cigarettes a day around all my tanks and I have never had a smoking related fish death. BUNK as far as I am concerned :)

17. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I'm assuming because of what I stated... A bubbler sucks air from the room and puts it into the tank. A "normal" filter isn't directly sucking air in and putting it into the tank, it's like you said creating surface movement to create the o2 exchange. I could only see this being a concern if you're blowing smoke right onto the water as it exits the filter. Just my opinion on this since I didn't see the show.

How exactly would you know if a death was smoke related or not ?

18. WhiteGloveAquatics

you cant without a toxicology test.

also with an air pump, its either on a towel or its heavily filtered at ITs inlet and lower then most smoke travels, I keep my air pump under the stand where I know no smoke will ever go. I also believe it has to be a heavy concentration in the water as well, water absorbs ALOT of stuff but it takes alot of stuff to turn it toxic. I do this kind of stuff on the side with out local river and feeder creeks around me in my county. Youd be suprised what a fish can live in(old gas cans ) and live thru.

19. HBIC

I could see this being possible IF the contaminated bubble from an air pump was sucked into the filter intake and then difused into the water but with a normal air pump the contaminated air bubble would simply float to the top of the water pop and all the contamination would then gas off back into the air. Sort of like how a person has to difuse CO2 into a tank.

20. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

That was my point. LoL [icon_razz.gif]