1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

BBA (Black Beard Algae)

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plants & Planted Tanks' started by Anthony, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Anthony

Anthony Thread Starter Active Member

BBA (Black Beard Algae)
    So I've noticed this growing on my plants lately. It started on my swords so I assume they had small amounts of it when I purchased them, lucky me. I've been pulling the bunches off as well as I could but that's not really helping resolve the problem. I've been reading and am attempting the peroxide method. I added 30ml of peroxide to the tank about 45 minutes ago. Most of what I read said 1-3ml per gallon. I see quite a few little bubbles on the plants but not really on the algae. I'm going to add another 30ml and leave it for about an hour then do a water change (my 2nd for the day since I did my weekly water change this morning already :confused: )

Has anyone tried this method or any others with any success ?

2. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

I did a full dip of my anubias plants and it failed... no bubbles! I threw them out before seeing if it worked over the long term.

I did squirt a small patch that I missed cleaning the tank and it turned red a day later and was gone a few days later.... So I cant give a solid answer on it. I would say keep trying with the Peroxide.

3. Anthony

Do you think it's a bad idea to leave the peroxide in the tank for a day ?

I just added 30ml more and turned off the filter this time, only leaving the power head running.

4. LemonDiscus

I left in mine... I actually used the syringe and injected about 100ml into the few problem spots on my tank.

No the peroxide will just break down as H20 and Oxygen (peroxide is H2O2) I believe.... some people use peroxide as a way to increase the oxygen in the tank (told to be by Fin and Feather when I told them to use it to get rid of algae) They actually keep it for the oxygenation properties of it.

As long as you dont like dump the whole bottle in, it wont hurt the fish. Plus Peroxide breaks down fast in light. And even if you dump the whole bottle in it probably wont hurt them.

5. Anthony

Okay sounds good. Hopefully in a day or two I'll see if it's killed off any of the BBA.

6. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

My lfs sold me the Siamese Algae Eaters for it, before the hubby kindly washed my plants they were doing an excellent job of removing it. This is the first I'm hearing of peroxide..is it safe in a tank with fish...or just a planted tank without inhabitants? Could prove helpful if I come across it again.

7. LemonDiscus

It is safe with fish.

Again here is the molecular composition of peroxide: H2O2

And it breaks down into the following when exposed to light: H2O and O

So yes... dont dump 10 gallons into a 20 gallon tank, but it is plenty safe with a syringe and spot cleaning.

You have to be careful on the plants though you use it on. Some plants have simple cell structures (your fine stem plants) and they could be attacked as bacteria (closely related to algae) by the peroxide.

8. Anthony

So this morning all of the BBA has changed from the black/greyish color to red. I assume this means it's dead, which is great if it is.

9. LemonDiscus

Not yet its not.... it is dying though... give it another day or and it should turn white then fall off.... then its dead :)

10. Anthony

Well it needs to die faster. :) After it turns white will it fall off the plants ?

11. LemonDiscus

It should

12. Anthony

Okay good. Before the lights went out I dumped a bit more peroxide in the tank (didn't measure it this time). As soon as this stuff dies I need to do a water change. My water is a bit cloudy from something.

13. LemonDiscus

You have been just dumping it in!?! :confused:

Do the fish seem ok?

14. Anthony

Oh no, I measured it the first two doses. The 3rd time I dumped in a little bit which I'm sure was less than the 30ml I was adding to begin with. All the fish are fine, they're all on the side of the tank closest to me waiting for me to feed them.

15. LemonDiscus

That good.

The best way to administer peroxide is with a syringe. You fill it up and put it in the tank like spot feeding, but you spot inject on the algae so you are spraying an undiluted mixture directly onto the algae.

16. Anthony

Exactly what I used. :D

17. LemonDiscus

Ahh, did you squirt it on the algae directly??

The comment "Before the lights went out I dumped a bit more peroxide in the tank" kind of implied just pouring it in.

18. Anthony

Yep the first two times that's what I did, on as much of the algae as possible. There's quite a bit on the plants so I tried to get the main parts but all of the BBA in the tank has turned red. The third time I did just dump a small amount into the tank onto the powerhead, again less than the 30ml I was adding to begin with.

19. LemonDiscus

20. Anthony

This morning all the BBA has turned white and is less stiff than it was before. I've noticed the Endler's picking at it every now and then. I was planning on doing a water change this morning to take care of the cloudiness I assume had something to do with the peroxide. When I walked into the sun room I was surprised to see that the tank was again crystal clear.