1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Best bottom feeders

Discussion in 'Freshwater General Discussion' started by WarthogWilly, Jul 25, 2009.

1. WarthogWilly

WarthogWilly Thread Starter New Member

Hey i need some help, once my tank is cycled id like to add a fish to help keep the bottom clean of food. Im not sure if my water is too arrerated or if the filter current is too strong, but my flaked food only floates for like 3 seconds. Then its tossed to the bottom floates through the tank, and most ends up settling on the bottom, i feed my fish very little, so please i dont need a spammed comment of "over feeding." I have 4 platys, one molly, and 1 quarry catfish, in a 30 gal. What kind of fish can I get that will cruise the rocks to eat some of the left over scrap of food laying in the crevaces and corners???? A pleco? Perhaps any help would be apreciated, the catfish ive never seen eat the flaked food, he only eats the formed disks i drop in for him............. ;)

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Small school of corydoras (dwarf ones if you have them in your area...so you could fit several if you'd like) ;)

:D Also know that if you fear your filtration is a bit powerful you can add crypts (wendtii's) for them to hide beneath...Mine absolutely love hanging out beneath them.

Ps. What is a quarry catfish? (never heard of that)

3. WarthogWilly

lol my bad, my wife picked that out its accually a speckeled or spotted cory.....i was informed it was a quarry catfish

4. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

corydoras should be kept in groups of a minimum of 3.

They make good little bottom feeders and wouldn't harm a fly.

Provide them with shelter such as a coconut hut, crypt (wendtii), or a overhang.

Other things that come to mind are moreso for eating algae.

5. Stellaluna

Stellaluna New Member

Also consider switching to a quality pelleted food.

Many flake foods are not very nutrient dense, and more goes to waste than with pellets. New Life Spectrum is a good one, also Sera makes very good pellet food. Many of them float for a while before they sink, so the top feeders have a chance to get to them.

Another thing to consider is that though a crew of bottom feeders will eat food that sinks, they also create their own waste, which would be about equal to the wasted food left behind before they arrived, so though they will eat food that is not eaten by the other fish, you are adding to the bioload anyway. If you like catfish, get catfish, certainly, but they are not going to make the tank "cleaner."

6. BobV

BobV Member

I opt for the tetra crisps and cichlid crisps instead of flakes. They float for a bit and when they sink, they stay together better than flake

7. WarthogWilly

awsome, i just got what the guy at petsmart told me to get, its just basic tetra flakes, and some form of disk shaped algae patties for the catfish

8. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

sounds like what I use (Tetra Min Tropical flakes and Hikari Algae tabs --small ones and large ones).

Also, you can try frozen bloodworms (mine absolutely love them and will swim to the top for them).

9. WarthogWilly

imma try that

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

A chinese algae eater or one of the smaller plecos, they'll definitely eat the food but you won't be able to put in more fish XD. I like ottos, they do nothing but poop and are suppose to be fragile, mine's gone through hell and come out quite undisturbed though :3 Cories and shrimp are nice small bottom cleaners too

11. DanBruv

DanBruv New Member

cory cats

12. James0816

James0816 New Member

Not sure of you future (if any more) stocking plans...but shrimp make an excellent clean up crew. Good for a variety if you want. Otherwise...as mentioned...add a few mory cories...the one you have in there right now should have some companions.

13. WarthogWilly

yes i agree, i just dont want to throw new fish into my uncycled tank, im battling high ammonia for the second week, and am still not picking up any nitrites after 15 days, so imma just keep doing my 30 percent water changes to keep the levels low enough to not kill off my fish, once things balance out, 2 or 3 more corys will be added, they are really neat anyaway...are there other colors other than peppered and albino????

14. James0816

James0816 New Member

Yikes! That is a pretty big detail...with the fishies in an uncycled tank. Definately don't add anything else to it until it is done.

As for cories...there are quite a few different kinds out there. Only a few that can be actully found in your LFS though. Panda's and Skunks are nice little ones too.

15. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Here's an entire list of corydoras for ya!
    <a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Corydoras_species" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Corydoras_species</a>

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Instant cycling bacteria imo is so much easier, you get a head start on the cycling and save time :/ I don't think I've ever cycled my tank. My fish have to bear with it, I do enough water cleans that they don't seem to mind.

17. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Every tank must cycle. It will happen unless you do something to prevent it.

18. WarthogWilly

wow theres alot of corys thats crazy, im sure selection is limited.....really the only decent store around is petsmart

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

My petco's awful it hardly ever cleans out their dead fish D: I went there with a friend once and there were dozens of dead neons stuck tot he feeder o.o scary. And yeah I've heard that every tank cycles by itself but I don't think mine's completely cycled. I mean I keep the sides unscrubbed so they'res a film of algae I think and I don't rinse the gravel, but the water's cleaned quite often, I don't trust filters XD

20. KingKedros452

KingKedros452 New Member

Black kuhli loaches are fun to watch and good bottom feeders as well. They have them at the Appleton petsmart. You don't always catch when your nitrites spike, they're sneaky.