1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Dropsy Betta With Dropsy

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases & Cures' started by Omega59, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Omega59

Omega59 Thread Starter New Member

Good morning everyone hope you all have a great holiday!

My Betta has Dropsy and I've tried some medication already which did not work (Tetra Fungus Guard).
    I did some research online, and I found that people have been doing "Epsom Salt Baths" to cure Dropsy. My question is the following;

How much salt do I add for a 5 Gallon (18.92L)
    How long do I keep him in it for
    Is all Epsom Salt the same or do I need a specific one/brand

2. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

Salt baths MAY work but you would need to do it outside of his tank...I can't give you specifics on the amount of salt as I have never done this before. Once the signs of dropsy appear it is usually to late the fish will pass but I commend you on trying to keep it alive.

3. Omega59

Aww, he is a sweet guy, He comes to the corner when he see's me waving the food bottle, he has a puppy dog face. Should i euthanize him ? I feel bad to do this but feel bad if he is suffering.

4. Omega59

I did an Epsom Salt bath today for 20minutes. I hope i didn't add too much, I did 1 tablespoon for 1/2 gallon or so. He didn't seem like he was in pain or suffering so he took it well. I hope he will be alright in the next coming days.

Also tried to feed him mashed peas but he did not eat.

5. HBIC

I will keep my fingers crossed for him

6. Omega59

I had to put him down yesterday evening. he remained below breathing slowly and when i went to swoosh the water lightly, he just spun up like a feather. Tomorrow I will be going to the lfs, and if they have nothing that interest me, i may just get another Betta.

7. HBIC

Sorry to hear that, unfortunately usually once dropsy is visible it is also deadly.

8. Omega59

I guess that is the truth. Going today to see what other fish I can put in my 5gal. Was looking at a dwarf puffer, if not I will get another Betta :)