1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

black on plants help

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plants & Planted Tanks' started by Anonymous, Oct 3, 2008.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

black on plants help
    Hey all, need your help my plants are getting black stuff on them more than useual. I do water changes every week, I don't understand it. Any ideas why is happening.

2. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Its algae, you might be leaving your lights on too long or there may be too many nutrients in the water causing an algael bloom.

3. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Black beard algae probably. From what I've heard it's hard to get rid of. Only one or two fish actually eat it that I know of.

4. noshow discus

noshow discus New Member

get yerself a siamanies <sp> alge eater thats the only fish i know of that eats black algae..or be perpared to do alot of scrubbing and leave the lights off for awhile

5. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

I wouldn't be so quick to say it's BBA for sure. It is possible it is a nutrient deficiency. Are you dosing any ferts or adding CO2 to the tank? BBA looks like little tufts of hair whereas if it's a nutrient problem the plant itself will be turning black.

6. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

agree with noshow discus -->school of true Siamese Algae eaters...you can tell if they are true ones by the black stripe..on true ones it will run all the way through the entire length of the body (mouth to tail fin).

7. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

I would look more into IS it algae before adding stovk to care of something (which I do not agree with) It could very well be a nutrient defeciency. You got any pics of the plants in question?

8. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

True siamese algae eaters shouldn't bother fish and actually do much better in schools of about 4-5...they are usually docile bottom feeders and typically are "used" for removing spot algae and brush algae.
    Here's a copy and paste and a link to a site which shows what the different algae's look like. It may help you better explain what you are currently dealing with. True siamese algae eaters shouldn't...re drastic measure is treatment with copper.
    Brush algae

This grows in feathery black tufts 2-3 mm long and tends to collect on slower growing leaves like Anubias, some Echinodorus and other wide leaf plants. Also tends to collect on mechanical equipment. This is actually a red alga in the genus Audouinella (other names: Acrochaetium, Rhodochorton, Chantransia). It cannot easily be removed mechanically. Remove and discard the affected leaves. Equipment can be soaked in a 25% bleach solution, then scrubbed to remove the dead algae. Siamese Algae Eaters (Crossocheilus siamensis) are known to eat this algae and can keep it in check. A more drastic measure is treatment with copper.

9. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

Java Fern gets black spots. These black spots are the sex organs and NOT anything bad. This would apply if the black spots are on Java Fern though and not other plants.