1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Breeding Fish for Feeders

Discussion in 'Livebearer Fish' started by California Cowgirl, Feb 15, 2009.

1. California Cowgirl

California Cowgirl Thread Starter New Member

Should i try guppies again?

OK, so i was thinking that i might want to get some guppies for my toads as they do snack on them. So i was thinking to try and breed them in my 10 gall freshwater? My last guppy was to aggressive for my community tank, but the only one was really docile. So i'm not sure if i should try them again to try to raise them as feeder in my 10 gall with my 2 fish, and that way since they will be feeders i don't have to worry about my ADF's eating them?

What do you think

2. GOT MTS?

GOT MTS? Member

Re: Should i try guppies again?

I'm confused are you wanting to breed fancy guppies for food or breed those cheap ugly feeder guppies?

3. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

i personally rather buy takes to long to grow

4. California Cowgirl

i would at least like to try to breed them for food, but i'd have to get the fancy guppies because my petstores around here don't sell them as feeders, so i'd have to get the fancy ones and just not tell them about them being feeders. And the only non canned live food they sell besides live crickets, are gold fish, and i don't know if id be able to get a small enough one for a snack

5. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

yea goldfishes need to be like 12"+ to breed i think or 6" something but still needs to be BIG i heard minnoows are easy to breeed but havent tried yeat for guppies you need a lot i bought 40 feeder guppies for my 3-4" peacock bass and it was all eaten in 5 days their were a couple fry but like 1-2 if you want to breed them you need alot of hiding places because the parents will eat frys so good luck

6. GOT MTS?

GOT MTS? Member

You could probably get live minnows at a bait and tackle shop for pretty cheep. If you really want to try and breed guppies for food then go for it. I am guessing by the time you raise the guppy fry to maturity you will be too attached to them to use them as food. The only way you will have enough guppies to have a steady supply of adult feeder guppies would be to use something bigger then a 10 gallon tank. If you have a back yard maybe you could get a 50 gallon rain barrel and breed them in that. Let me know what you end up doing.

7. California Cowgirl

kk since it sound like it takes to long for frys to be big enough to eat/breed, and as you said i will most likley get attached to them, i think i'll just buy them every now and then from the petstore, especially cause i want my fbts to have some food other than crickets and only getting fed every other day

8. California Cowgirl

oh and off topic from this section, my golden wonder killie isint looking to good, i just feed them about an hour ago, and now he's at the bottom of the tank, where he's usually up top, and the front half of his body is facing down, and he's usually level he just doesn't look right to me

9. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

anything changed?

10. fuzzer41

fuzzer41 New Member

just stick a bunch of the ugliest guppies you can find in a pond or barrel, and let them breed, by spring you will have babies!

11. MasterBlue

MasterBlue Active Member

Fuzzer; please observe the date of the post. Feb 15, 2009. While I appreciate your input, it's an old thread.

12. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

just curious, but is there some new rule that I haven't been made aware of yet that old threads can't be posted in?
    feelin like I may need a manual.

13. MasterBlue

MasterBlue Active Member

Not that I'm aware so I assume not; but the people who had this topic opened haven't been active in a while. Just seems a little... Unnecessary. My personal input.

14. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I just assumed new and didn't notice the dates of the last post? Or possibly wanted to add input for others that come across old threads...things are always changing and new things are constantly coming on the market :)

15. fuzzer41

fuzzer41 New Member

Yes, I do realize this is an old post, but some people may have the same question, and I just want to help those people.

16. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

ha, so I was right.
    *wants a cookie now as a prize*

17. fuzzer41

fuzzer41 New Member

Yes you were right! YAYA!!!

18. MasterBlue

MasterBlue Active Member

-.- It seems I'm out voted, haha. ;3

19. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

That'll be Oreo Jonathan, better make that 2 Oreos :)
    Hehe

20. MasterBlue

MasterBlue Active Member

a pack of extra large double stuffs sound good? lol