1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Brian

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by bj.kracht, Aug 27, 2010.

1. bj.kracht

bj.kracht Thread Starter New Member

Hey, my name is Brian i am from Minnesota. I love fish and just got my first fish a few months ago. I have a male Betta fish. I am looking to get a few more fish soon. I received a somewhat small tank from a friend for free, but i plan to use it. I am excited! Don't know what I will get though. Something easy to keep and fun. I think the tank is 3 Gallons. So any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Welcome to the forum !

So you have a betta then another empty 3 gallon tank ?

3. bj.kracht

I have one Betta in a tank that is all set up, now I have another 3 gallon tank. I have done some reading and I plan on just getting one more betta. I have been looking at the king betta and i am doing some research on them now.

4. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Welcome Brian, I've heard petco's are carrying them and their supposed to get 4"...although theirs some claims that they can reach 7" which I highly doubt.

3 gallon, I'd stay with something small...equipment requires room (heater, filter) and doesn't leave much room for fish besides something such as a labryinth (sp) like a betta sadly.

5. bj.kracht

So besides a Betta there are really no options?

6. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

welcome.

7. trajik ink

trajik ink New Member

welcome brian! yeah i wouldn't put anything else but a betta in a 3 gallon...also i heard petco is having their $1 per gallon sale tomorrow, at least in my city in MA. you should call your local petco and check it out.

8. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

A couple male Endler's would work.

9. nossie

nossie Member

Welcome Brian! :D

If I was you, I would go for the betta too, just to be safe. I find that most other fish will need airstones or filtration. Like others said already, it'll take up space.

10. bj.kracht

Ok, i did some reading on a Betta forum, I got my betta i currently have and put him in this 3 gallon tank, which is bigger than the one he was in. It looks so amazing now. He has three times the space and he has a whole big asian castle type thing, i font know how to describe it. It seems like everyone is always talking about endlers, why are they so special. Are they easy to care for? I am in love with the fish stuff and want to get a ten or 15 gallon tank and expand to some other cool fish. Dont get me wrong i love my Betta though. I am not experienced at all though. Bettas are pretty much the most basic it seems. Can someone link me to a thread with some of this starter information please. Sorry about the bad punctuation and spelling, I am feeling lazy. =) thanks for the help!

11. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

eh, go 55g if you can get it through the $1 per gallon sale. You'll be happier, have more options, have more room for "error" per say, and you can probably score equipment used through your local craiglist or ebay.

Endlers are similar to guppies, both being small...colorful if their males for the majority....and can get by in a smaller tank IF it's heated and has oxygenation/filtration.

For tank maint. for ANY type of fish you pretty much need/require the same basics...a heater that'll help keep the water temp stable, a form of filtration- sponge filter, hang on back filter, canister filter, in tank filter, and some will say proper lighting (but I consider that moreso just for YOUR personal viewing pleasure). That'd be the bare minimums one can get by with. Even MY betta is kept in a heated tank (although you'll read that many will say they don't NEED a heater...I tend to find they do better WITH a heater).
    .................................................beyond equipment you need to do regular weekly partials usually using a siphon and drawing the water out from the bottom of the tank (roughly 25% should be removed, but can be more) and adding a good Dechlorinator such as SEACHEM PRIME according to bottles direction (I dose for entire tank size and NOT just amount that you removed) BEFORE adding "clean" water that's as close in temp to the main tank as you can possibly get it. I have IN TANK aquarium thermometers with probes that help me assess the incoming water temp and existing tanks temp (tom temperature alert).

And then you have your filter maint. (which varies but at a minimum should be rinsed out once a month removing the gunk, and replacing the media as needed-- cartridges are usually weekly-monthly depending on how much you feed).

PS. guessing you might not know much about tank cycling I'd add a so-called instant tank cycler such as Tetra Safe Start and always have a freshwater master test kit handy for cycling and problems--> Api Freshwater Master Test Kit (always go for the liquid test kits..more accurate).

12. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2014
  13. bj.kracht

Thank you guys so much. Everything seems simple and like something I can handle. Except for the cycling. That is what intimidates me. It makes no sense lol. I understand the cleaning with a siphon thing. I do that with my Betta, as well as heat the tank, I currently do that as well. What is the difference between cycling and cleaning. I dont get that at all.

14. bj.kracht

oK I get the cycling thing now i think, so I would set up my tank how i want it, then buy some cheap fish that will most likely die. Send em in and then after like 15 days i will use a water test kit and see if the levels are correct for nitrite and nitrate and stuff like that. Does that sound like all or am i missing anything?

15. bj.kracht

ok I just read the cycle by day thing, that helped too.

16. bj.kracht

Ok, now i have another question. I dont want to deal with breeding. Will it just happen and is it ok? Do i just let it happen? Can i prevent it?

17. YellowCichlid

YellowCichlid New Member

18. bj.kracht

19. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Breeding depends on what you stock the tank with (and the size of the tank will have alot to do with it on whether or not you "somewhat safely" have room to deal with breeding).

You can avoid it if you have all males in the tank, but most females (like when you buy livebearers) when sold are already pregnant/insem.

IF you have a compatible breeding pair and your water parameters are optimal in addition to your water quality "most" breeding pairs will breed and with most species you can just let it occur naturally or simply seperate the "pair" if you want to prevent it in addition to simply just getting all males (but the key to this would be proper sexing of all purchased fish...which with some species is difficult if not impossible to do).

20. bj.kracht

ok, thanks, I just don't want a million fish in the tank. What would i do if they did breed? Can i bring them to the store I got them from?