1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Can you move a full aquarium?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by MOD_Dawn, Sep 17, 2011.

1. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Thread Starter Active Member

Question:
    Has anyone tried mounting wheels to the bottom of their aquarium stands AND successfully moved a full tank that way?

IF so, can you please tell me if you modified the bottom of your aquarium stand in any way (as in reinforcing it with 2x4's and mounting the wheels to that) and what type of wheels you used?

I know in the future I'll be forced to move the tanks for the house to be re-painted and was hoping to figure out a way to make any further/additional needed moves WITHOUT needing to break down the entire tank as I will need to do when we paint.

2. Alleycat

Alleycat Member

I'm going to guess you're talking about a smaller tank like 30g or so, right?

3. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't recommend trying it. There will be alot of uneven stress put on the glass and seals.
    A tank is sitting on a well supported level surface does not experience sheer stress on the seals. But when the tank is moved, the motion can put uneven pressure on the seals. If the tank is empty, that stress is not enough to cause a problem. But if the tank has additional weight from substrate or water, the stress created by moving the tank can break the seal.
    Just my 2cents .

4. MOD_Dawn

No, we're talking about a big'ish tank (90g).

And that's what I was thinking too buzz, but figured I'd check to see if anyone else has tried first before giving up hope.

5. WhiteGloveAquatics

WhiteGloveAquatics New Member

absolutely not, unless you are 3/4" or greater in glass thickness for that 4' tank, even then its a gamble.

You REALLY think life would actually be that easy? good gosh girl lol.

6. MOD_Dawn

Hey, you can't fault a girl for thinking outside the box. haha!

And why CAN'T life be that easy, everythings gotta be so darn difficult [icon_e_sad.gif]

7. Ben

Ben New Member

I honestly doubt you can move a full tank like that. I have moved some 55s by using moving carts made from 2x4s with casters on them. We drained the tank atleast 3/4 down then put the stand and tank together on the cart and rolled it where it needed to be. I would never try that with a full tank though lol. Moving tanks like that worked very well for me but you always take a chance if you are moving a tank with extra weight in it.

8. MOD_Dawn

Well I initially thought of the same way you describe Ben, basically making one of those things that you roll under to check cars on...and leaving it under the stand so that way if I needed to move everything I could simply drain the tank about 50% or so and keep everyone in there. It was a good thought, or at least I thought so initially. haha!