1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Changing Servers, Maybe

Discussion in 'Site News / Feedback / Questions' started by Anthony, Mar 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anthony

Anthony Thread Starter Active Member

As most of you are aware the site has been having some server problems lately. I've done some searching around and am going to be testing a VPS as soon as it gets setup. If the VPS works well I will be moving the site which means it will be unavailable for a short period of time. If/When that happens I will let everyone know beforehand.

2. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

awww ='[

3. Anthony

If everything goes as planned the site should run a lot faster.

4. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

will their be any differences/changes as a result of the switch?

5. Anthony

Well the new server should load the site a bit faster. Also we won't have to worry about other sites causing problems on the server which in turn causes problems for this site. The new server is based in Pa and the current one in Tx.

6. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

okay, so no visual/image changes...just possible faster speed?

7. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

It wont mean a thing to us but better loading pages.... because most of us are on the east coast all of us will have a lower latency (talk time for data) because data does not have to go as far... also bottlenecks between here and Texas slow it down and there will be less of a chance of that...

For those elsewhere it should still be faster because the Hosting Service that Anthony uses now may be hosting hundreds of other websites.... this will be a server for just this forum and WILL NOT share with other sites.... meaning faster performance on the server that is delivering the content.

All I ask Anthony is that you put up a notice when the change will be scheduled so we all know. Also post up how long it has been estimated to take and add an hour or 2.... something around these lines "Attention Aquarium Space Users! Aquarium Space will be undergoing a change in servers on April 15th at 11pm and will not return back until April 16th at 4am. We apologize for any inconvenience and are looking forward to a better performing site for everyone!"

8. Anthony

Yep thanks for explaining it Lemon. Its hard for me to type too much from my phone.

I don't think it will take too long once I get the files uploaded. The only time there should be any problems with the site loading is at the very end when I change the nameservers.

The only visual changes anyone sees should be faster load times for those of us with dsl/cable.

9. LemonDiscus

No... but overestimate the amount of time just in case!

A nameserver change could take up to 3 days.... usually it only takes an hour though :confused:

10. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

To bad it has to go down :) As long as it gets better its fine :D

11. Anthony

I really think and hope it will be down for a very short time. I will let everyone know before the change is made though.

12. LemonDiscus

Thank you!

Side note Anthony, you seen the fish? :)

13. Anthony

Yeah somewhat. Im not home and won't have my laptop until this afternoon. I'll look at it again when I have it and comment then.

14. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Thanks for the details Anthony, Appreciate it.

15. Leslie

Leslie New Member

ok. glade i read this. i prolly would have died no knowig. lol

16. Anthony

Okay the VPS I purchased was "unmanaged" and it did not state that on the information page nor on the order page. So as of now I'm back to looking for another option. I have contacted the Level II admin for the current host again and notified him of the issues. He's going to continue to monitor the server during his shift.

17. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

server has since been changed.
    Topic locked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.