1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Chemi-Pure Elite Muti-Purpose Filter Media -Having my doubts

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by irresistaple_kai, Jan 2, 2009.

1. irresistaple_kai

irresistaple_kai Thread Starter New Member

Hey all - anyone ever use this stuff?

Below is the information that I copied from the website of That Fish Place/That Pet Place website (<a class="postlink" href="http://www.thatpetplace.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.thatpetplace.com</a>).

I purchased this product under very high recommendations from other customers that have used it and loved it. It sounded good for my extremely busy - 2 job life - but I am not so sure any more.

I admit I don't change my water or my fiter media as often as I should - but my animals have never given any signs of stress or health issues as a result - I figured I was doing ok. At least until I changed my media to this stuff.

Since the change, my tank stability has plummeted - I have lost fish (my favorite being a gray and white rainbow shark) and plants have almost given the appearance of being dissolved away (I don't know where they have gone). I know I need to do some chemical tests yet but - this weekend (when I am off from both jobs) I am putting the old tried and true bags of carbon media back in.

Perhaps its the combination of the Chemipure and the local water - I don't know. I have never had this much loss at one time though. All I know is that the carbon is going back in before I lose my acaras and tire track eel.

Let me know your thoughts.........

Chemi-Pure Elite Multi-Purpose Filter Media
    Boyd Enterprises
    <a class="postlink" href="http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/group/1263/product.web" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/group/1263/product.web</a>

This powerful filter media takes the aquarium cleaning power of original Chemi-pure one step further. Chemi-pure Elite aquarium filter media combines the organic removing power of original Chemi-pure and the phosphate-removal properties of ferric oxide to make the perfect filter media. Chemi-Pure is a safe, effective filter media for creating crystal clear aquarium water and reducing water changes; making fish healthier and allowing corals and invertebrates to acclimate more quickly and thrive in their aquarium environment. Ideal for freshwater or saltwater aquariums, Chemi-pure is the perfect replacement for any aquarium filter using bags of carbon media. Take your aquarium filtration to the next level with Dick Boyd's Chemi-pure Elite!
    chemi-pure.jpg

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Were you using it to try and reduce water changes ?

3. SyncereOne

SyncereOne New Member

I've learned the hard way with my FW tanks....if it ain't broke, don't fix it. As long as your nitrate levels were sky high, and you were having problems with your fish, keep doing what you're doing. I change water in my tank every 2 weeks...yes it may not need it, but thats what I do. I don't check my nitrates unless something is going on with my tank.

And the idea of carbon or a material reducing water changes is suspect to me. Unless you have a tank with lots of plants, reducing water changes is not advisible.

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Agreed. I'm completely against using products simple to "reduce water changes".

5. irresistaple_kai

No - not for the soul purpose of reducing water changes. I never did water changes as often as I should have in the first place. I am sure that my plants, as you mentioned as well, appreciate not being messed with any more than the acaras already do with them.

I guess it is just a lesson learned that I should have already known (old enough to know better)- as you said - if it isn't broken, don't fix it. I was sold on the the length of time that people were using the product before changing it - approx 3 months. As time to clean and maintain the tank is a planned event - getting to any of the pet supply shops around here is darn near impossible with my schedule.

Another life lesson learned.

It's ok - I know that once I go back to the tried and true my tank's health will stabilize again. I will do a water change and a media change and I expect that things will start turning around. I can't wait to start replacing plants - they add so much to the environment - inside and out.

Thanks all.........

6. irresistaple_kai

Well, thank God for regular old carbon charcoal media - Yay!!! Of course after the loss of nearly everything but my acaras and pleco (total of 3 fish now) my tank is stable - the nitrites and nitrates are back to normal and for the first time ever - lol - I HAVE FRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

New carbon and a complete water change = acara fry. Go figure.

7. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Carbon use scares me.

8. fllszbrnc

fllszbrnc New Member

Wouldn't the phosphate removing propeties of Chemi-pure Elite affect your plants. I have used regulare Chemi-pure on my fish only tanks for years without any problems, but I haven't tried the Elite.

9. irresistaple_kai

I am not sure - probably - The planted tank is something new to me that I am still learning. I have changed back to carbon since though and everything is clean and clear and the surviving plants have started new roots and are getting very green again. I don't think I will be changing again.

10. gsoul55

gsoul55 New Member

I have been using Purigen for about 8 months now and that stuff is awesome. My nitrates and ammonia are pretty much zero and the water is just crystal clear all the time and it is reusable. And it hardly affects the trace elements in my african tanks. I recommend it to all my friends.

11. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Your ammonia should always be 0 unless your tank is cycling.

12. gsoul55

gsoul55 New Member

Mine would always read like .3 or .4 ppm which is normal but now it is always 0 or .1 ppm.