1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Cherry Barbs Breeding

Discussion in 'Cyprinid Fish' started by Rain, Dec 25, 2010.

1. Rain

Rain Thread Starter New Member

I have 3 male Cherry Barbs, 3 females, and 3 Kuhli Loaches in a heavily planted tank. It's heated with good water quality and I feed them NLS Small Fish. But the females never lay eggs. [icon_e_sad.gif] They never get the big stomachs. I don't know how to get them to breed. I got them from Petco, but I've had them for months and they're perfectly healthy. I believe they're old enough, based on their strong colors and large size, but I don't know for sure. I tried the big water change with warm water, but it didn't do anything. Anyone have any ideas?

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Condition them with assorted foods..the NLS is good food (I have it and feed my neons and such it), try adding some live baby brine shrimp and/or frozen bloodworms.

Once you've conditioned them try water changes with fresh water that is aprox. 5 degrees cooler than what they are in now.
    The cooler water makes them think it's the rainy season when they typically spawn..I've read they normally don't spawn during the summer too (although I'm not sure how true that is).

Also, with them dropping the eggs the others (barbs and loaches included) will rush to eat the eggs as a tasty treat. If you really want to breed them you might consider moving the barbs over to something like a 10g that's only full about 6" and have the bottom layered two deep with marbles to prevent the others from eating them as they are scattered. Once the eggs are scattered I'd move the adults back to your planted tank.

Let me know how they do for ya! I've had bloodfin tetras scatter eggs, but the other tank inhabitants were always quick to scarf them up...and unfortunately for me I've never had the extra room to put another tank to actually attempt to collect the eggs.

3. Rain

Thank you!

4. Rain

Will the males still fertilize the eggs in the marbles? Do I need any plants in the breeding tank? Like maybe Java moss or Guppy Grass?

5. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

the male should fertilize the eggs prior to their falling into the marbles.
    You could use plants, the use of live plants are always a plus! I'd do something that multiples really fast and is on the bushy side like Cambomba Furcata or a nice wide amazon sword...if planted heavily enough it will give them a spawning ground AND possible coverage for the eggs to hatch. But I'd still try to remove the parents once the eggs have been fertilized.

6. James0816

James0816 New Member

If you trying to breed them, you're definately going to want to move the khulii's out. Free lunch.

Also, try to establish a nice carpet plant such as java moss or riccia. These will do much better than just letting them fall into the gravel.

7. Rain

Okay, so the plan so far is to set up another tank with a sponge filter (that has sat in the Cherry tank for a few days), big marbles, and the a bunch of moss on top of it, plus any plant I can find at my LFS. (Will flame moss work?) I start feeding them bloodworms, Mysis shrimp, and daphnia and changing their water with cooler water. When the 10G is cycled, I'll move the three females into it. When (if) they get big with eggs I'll move the three males into the tanks with them and turn off the lights. Remove them when the females are slimmer.

Does this work?