1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Cichlid Pictures

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by Anonymous, Oct 12, 2008.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Here are your pictures lakemom15. :D

2. noshow discus

noshow discus New Member

Re: lakemom15's Pictures

nice tanks.
    didn't see any discus tho...you need some

3. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Woah, looks like you have an Aratus Cichlid in there. He's going to have to go. Once he matures he's going to be VERY aggressive. Also, the other guys in that tank can't live in the 20 gallon tank for very long.

4. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

I actually have 2 of the Aratus in there. They are both the same size. Do you think they will need their own tank? If so, is there anything else I can put in with them? Could they stay in the 20 and then move the others to a larger tank? I purchased all of these fish from a local store here in Roanoke and they were all in a "mixed african cichlid" tank together. I am really new to the cichlid world, so I appreciate any advice you can give me to keep them all safe and healthy!

5. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

For 2 of those guys they'd have to be in a tank over 55 gallons by themselves. If you wanted to put other fish in there you'd have to have a The orange one looks like a Red Zebra and the blue one a Kenyi, both very aggressive fish but not quite as bad as the Aratus'. I'd suggest a 120 gallon minimum if you were to keep all of those guys.

6. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

How long before I have to move them do you think? The Aratus are about an inch long, and the others about an inch and a half or so? I have actually been more worried about the Aratus being picked on because the larger yellow one will chase them all over the tank when the lights go on, after a few minutes he leaves them alone and goes on about his business.

7. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Ideally within the next month or two. They wouldn't have to be moved to a 125 right away but those 4 (I assume you have 4 because that's what I see) could be moved to a 40 gallon long tank for several more months. As adults they're really going to need a large tank because of their aggressive nature. The Aratus is known for being a very nasty fish.

8. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

I have the 2 Aratus, the kenyi, the yellow one (I think it is a yellow lab 2nd picture down), and then the darker yellow one you said looked like a Red Zebra. If I got a 40 gallon would it be better to leave the Aratus in the 20 since they are smaller and move the other 3 to the 40? I am so glad I found this board, you guys are so much better than the ones at the pet store.

9. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Oh, I didn't even see the yellow guy. Normally cichlids in an "assorted" tank have a high chance of being hybrids. The orange guy could be a hybrid but lets just call him a Red Zebra. The yellow one can be a hybrid as well, you won't know for sure until it gets larger though. Right now, it's a Yellow Lab. LoL The Aratus' are probably not hybrids. Remember, the 40 gallon tank I suggested is a 40 Long. It's 4" in length which provides much more swimming room.

If you're able to get a 125 gallon tank within 6 months then I'd keep them all. If you don't think you're going to be able to I'm return them and get a different type of cichlid. If you do exchange them, you're going to need a larger tank unless you go with something like shell dwelling cichlids.

10. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

What is a shell dwelling cichlid? I have never heard that term (of course I will go google it..lol). I am not sure about being able to get a 125 in the next 6 months, a 40 or 55 yes, but I don't know if I have the room for a 125 right now. Guess I need to do some more research before I go to the pet store again.

11. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Here ya go. <a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shell_dwellers#Types_of_shell_dwellers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shell_dwel ... l_dwellers</a>
    They're cute little guys. There are lots of different types of shell dwellers. Here's one.
    aupload.wikimedia.org_wikipedia_commons_9_92_Lamprologusstappersimalemcl.jpg

12. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

I just read an article about them, they seem really cool. I am definetly going to do some more research on them though. I thought I was prepared for the ones I bought.. live and learn I guess.

13. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I made the same mistake when I first got into cichlids.

14. caronsd

caronsd New Member

I have a 4" auratus right now and a 4" oscar and they get along fine. From experience and from speaking with a few cichlid breeders and enthusiasts auratus can be kept in a community tank of decent size with other cichlids if there are enough hiding spots and open swimming areas. If the auratus are in a tank with one or two other fish all their aggression will be on those fish, if there are many cichlids in a tank they tend to be easier going. It also depends on the fish, some are highly territorial and some aren't. I wouldn't get rid of them yet. Give them some time. They aren't very big yet, those cichlids dont really start to get aggressive at all till they hit about 2.5-3" when they start to mature more. I would say go with a 55 gallon and fill it with plenty of cover and use the front half of the tank for open area. A guy in my area has many community cichlid tanks with mix breeds with that setup and he's had them going for years and years. For now I'd say that would be the best solution, auratus tend to get real aggressive if they are breeding, hopefully if you ahve 2 females you'll be just fine. Remember almost all cichlids are aggressive. As for the 20 gallon, shell dwellers would be cool, there are some that don't get very big at all. Having only those 4 fish in a 120 gallon is a little extreme imo, just remember that they need places to hide themselves at times because all the fish need breaks from eachother and also the hiding spots will serve as little territories for them. You will however want to separate the angels soon. Thats just my 2 cents from my experience speaking with some cichlid experts.

15. fishfirst

fishfirst New Member

shellies are an awesome fish, but not for beginners they are very aggressive and need at least 5gals a fish with 10 shells per fish and a sandy bottom. the ones that are in the pic are by far the most aggressive i have seen.

16. caronsd

caronsd New Member

Ah yes very true fish, i remember someone saying that a few meetings ago when there was some up for auction

17. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Why do I need to seperate my angel fish? I only have 4 in a 55 gallon tank? I thought that was plenty of room for them?

18. caronsd

caronsd New Member

Oh I thought they were in with the cichlids lol. I figured thats why the pictuers were together.

19. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

ohh no.. ok. You scared me.

20. caronsd

caronsd New Member

Sorry about that. lol. Angels are ALOT Of fun, probably my favorite fish. I want more but I haven't found any i like in my area yet. Maybe this weekend at the fish auction I'll get some good ones..