1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Clean Up Crew Ratio

Discussion in 'Saltwater Fish Forum' started by Anthony, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Anthony

Anthony Thread Starter Active Member

Okay. I've been looking around because I need to know for myself as well.

"How many hermit crabs and/or snails should I have in my tank?"

According to Garf.org they say a total of 45 algae eating snails and hermit crabs (Dwarf I'm assuming) should be used for a 30 gallon tank.
    A 55 = 82 Total
    A 100 = 150 Total

For those of you with reef tanks what do you recommend ?

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

I wouldn't go with with those numbers at all but you kind of have to experiment and see how much food you have and what not. For hermits I think I'd start out with like four, make sure they survive and then get some and make sure they survive. I don't have a reef tank but I did have around 13 hermits and now I'm at 10 so I'm staying at that number. Snails you can do the same thing, start with a few and then just kind of reach the right number. I had a bunch of snails at one point... then my hermits killed them all and use their shells, lol

3. KSul0132

KSul0132 New Member

i have a 34 gallon tank and have 5 red legged hermit crabs and about 10 blue legged hermit crabs 3 turbo snails 2 nassuiruis snails a cleaner shrimp and a coral banded shrimp and they keep it clean and eat when the fish get fed hope this helps

4. trajik ink

trajik ink New Member

i have a 72 and i have 45 hermits and 55 different types of snails....i also have a sally lightfoot crab and a coral banded shrimp and 2 emerald crabs.......but i have a heavy bio load and need that many.......

for your tank don't bother getting anymore until you have more rock and or fish that your feeding more......when your tank is a full blown reef tank you should have 25 hermits and 30 assorted snails.

5. KSul0132

KSul0132 New Member

my tank just hit a year old and everything is thriving a very long year
    <a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.theexoticfish.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&p=56749#p56749" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=35&p=56749#p56749</a>

6. trajik ink

trajik ink New Member

i've seen this pic before....have you posted it before here?
    it's a nice tank i love them shrooms...they make you trip without eating them..... :) :)

7. Anthony

Anthony Thread Starter Active Member

LoL

Yeah, he posted it on here before.

8. trajik ink

trajik ink New Member

yeah i thought so....

9. KSul0132

KSul0132 New Member

let me c pics of your tank lol

10. luvfish

luvfish New Member

IMO this is way too many. Most of them will end up starving to death. In general saltwater hobbyists keep their tanks overfiltered so there simply won't be a lot of algae growth. Most hobbyists won't over feed their tanks either so the end result is massive die offs of the clean up crew. Just to give you an idea, in my FOWLR tank (fish only with live rock) I have 4 fish; a lunare wrasse, yellow tang and a mated pair of 3 stripe damsels. There are 4 large mexican turbo snails in there and the tank is free of any algae. And this tank gets fairly heavy feedings because of the wrasse.
    For the average 30g tank I would instead suggest 1 mexican turbo, 2 astrea snails and if you have a deep sandbed maybe 8 of the nassarius snails. Hermit crabs should be limited to 3 or 4. I would also recommend blue-legged hermits as IMO they are hardier and live longer than red-legged hermits.

I am certainly not an expert but I have kept my fair share of SW tanks over the years and this is just my 2ยข :cool: