1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

cloudy water after adding crushed coral

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by Anonymous, Aug 2, 2008.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

I just added the crushed coral, I dont guess I rinsed it well enough because my water is super cloudy. I added Mardel Bright and Clear which generally takes about 12 hours to clear the water. I am wondering if this is a normal occurance with crushed coral?

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Yes, it is. It seems no matter how much you rinse it your water always gets cloudy.

3. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Is it normal for the brand new crushed coral to contnue to put off the white cloud evertime I move it or aquascape. If so, how long does this last and is there any way to expediate this process by siphoning the gravel over and over or anything?

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Yeah, if you don't rinse it like 20 times before you put it in your tank every time you move it you'll get a cloud again.

What I always do when putting new crushed coral in is rinse it as much as I feel like (I'm lazy so it's usually only a few times LoL). After it settles I just vacuum the substrate until the water coming out is clean.

5. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

We are on the same page haha.

6. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Although my water is still a little cloudy, I love the look of the crushed coral! Thanks for the advice, I like it so much I want to empty my 55 and start all over!

7. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I think crushed coral is the best substrate.