1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

companion fish

Discussion in 'Freshwater General Discussion' started by Cynthia, May 20, 2010.

1. Cynthia

Cynthia Thread Starter Member

after having my kitty run away :( ...I'm looking for a small,friendly little fish that will "play" live a couple years and does good with others, currently my female Veil-tail Ruby is my fish buddy but she's rather aggresive and not too good with others...

2. MasterBlue

MasterBlue Active Member

AWWWW! I'm sorry about your kitty =(
    I hope someone can help you, if it doesn's give live birth I pretty much don't play with it >.>;

3. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

what size setup do you have for this fish and what do you intend on putting in with it?

4. nossie

nossie Member

Well, Goldfish are very friendly, mine are snuggling with me every day and all the time :)
    And a common fantail doesn't grow much bigger than 6-7 inches at most, so it's one of the smaller, hardier varieties. But you need to have a 20 gallon tank for him to live in. Very rewarding investment though!

But if you're looking for some nice tropicals or smaller fish, then I can't help that much, since I haven't ever noticed any tropicals being too cuddly C:

5. Cynthia

maybe a 40 gal if I can get one ,and I don't know yet

6. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

most of your larger fish that come to mind would be a 55g minimum (Jack Dempsey, Parrot Fish, Oscar)...
    Agree with you could do goldfish...section it up and do a variety of this and that...
    for a variety take a look at these suggestions from my local fish store (and I disagree with them saying larger fish are okay in 20g...maybe when they are small, but defin not at full size)--> <a class="postlink" href="http://elmersaquarium.com/c106communityinfo.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://elmersaquarium.com/c106communityinfo.htm</a>
    see angel, peaceful, and livebearer.

7. Cynthia

the fish there all seem nice, I was thinking about liver bearers anyway ,but a small angel fish seems good, and when it grows up fully a larger tank is easy to get ,that or save up for a 55-75 gal tank for a Oscar

8. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

before I'd do a oscar I'd do a Jack or Parrot fish (they get really nice colors to them).

9. cooltow1

cooltow1 Member

Standard answer Goldfish I have goldfish that you can pet

Rick

10. Cynthia

I was wondering when you'd say that, but I like tropical fish and you can only keep cold water that aren't small enough to be dinner with a goldfish XD, I prefer bettas, but if I had a 6000 gal pond I'd buy a few fan tails or a couple koi

11. nossie

nossie Member

You could keep goldfish with goldfish C: About 3-4 fish would fit in the 40 gallon :D
    They would give you sooo much of love! c':