1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Contaminated Filter

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by Rain, Mar 5, 2011.

1. Rain

Rain Thread Starter New Member

I had a tank full of fish that was hit by a mysterious bug. I lost the whole tank and took it all apart. I washed the tank out with alcohol and then peroxide. The filter has been dry for a while. I have a spare filter pad, but it has a sponge piece. How can I clean the filter to make it safe (without bleach; I'm allergic)? Or do I need to just buy a new filter?

Thank you!

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I normally do the bleach method, but being your allergic and not knowing what you had disease wise in your tank I'm doubtful that tossing the media and soaking the filter with boiling hot water will do the trick (dependant on the type and what it's made of it might melt).

I wouldn't toss the filter, but I would toss the media.
    Hook the filter up on a bucket or a rubbermaid-like container so you can run the filter...dose the water inside the bucket/container with either Methylene Blue, a combo of Pima-Fix and Mela-Fix, or even vinegar (note. I've never done the vinegar method, but have heard from others that have with success). Once your done with running that through the filter really well (at least 24-48hours)...simply rinse it in some hot water and allow it to airdry and you'll be good to go.