1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

cory with growth on its nose

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases & Cures' started by aquaticart, Jun 3, 2010.

1. aquaticart

aquaticart Thread Starter New Member

hi all,
    a bit of advice needed if anyone can help.
    I have a pepper cory (getting on for 3 yrs old, was one of the first fish i bought!!), which has developed a round, white ball on the tip of its nose, almost like a white bubble, it seems a little lethrgic at the moment, but come slive when food is put in, and seems to be eating normally. (unfortunatey its hiding at the back of the tank at the moment so i cant get a pic of it...will put one on as soon as i can get a decent one!).
    I was wondering if this could be an infection, if it has cut itself whilst grazing around the tank, a tumour? or is it just getting on a bit, as it was quite large when i got it, so am not sure of its actual age!
    anyway, will posta pic as soon as i can get one, but, in the meantime, if anyone has any advice or ideas, i would greatly appreciate them (all the rest of fish seem fine, and water parameters are good).
    thanks
    ian

2. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

really need a pic. Does it appear to have any slice or opening or is the skin intact over the area? If you have a QT I would put him in for observation. If you have to treat it will be better in a QT.

3. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

It could also be a fungal infection. Like FishVixen said, a picture would be great to see exactly what we're talking about.

4. aquaticart

have managed to get a better look, and seperate the cory into quarintine tank, as luck would have it though, my camera is refusing to work!!
    having looked more closely,seems to definately be a fungal infection, as 'ball' seems to be getting more cotton wool loike!and have applied methlyn blue, as i always keep a stock of this, but does anyoneknow of anything else i can use as well as this (dont want to put anything else in and cause more problems!!)
    really appreciate your help, especially as he is my oldest fish!! will be borrowing a camera tomorrow to get some pics.
    thanks again
    ian

5. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

PimaFix is for fungal infections. It's basically a "natural" remedy.

6. aquaticart

hi all, just a quick update,
    got up this morining to find a very lively cory with a massively reduced growth, phew!!!!
    am going to keep him seperate for a while yet and continue treatment, will keep you all posted!
    thanks again

7. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Glad to hear he's doing better !

8. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

yay! glad to hear the corys doing better. They're cute lil buggers when they're socializing in a large group.

9. aquaticart

just thought i'd finally get round to doing an update.
    after a couple of weeks treatment in his own little tank, (next to the main tank, was quite cute how the rest of my corys always seemed to hang out at that end of the tank whilst he was in there!!), he was returned fit and healthy to the main tank, with no further problems.
    thanks again for your help and advice guys!

10. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

I'm so glad for the little guy. I have to congratulate you for taking quick action.

11. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Yay! glad to hear the cory's back in with his/her pals.