1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Corydora eggs???

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by NoctuVide, Feb 3, 2011.

1. NoctuVide

NoctuVide Thread Starter Member

So the other night I was feeding my fish in the 55gal and I noticed eggs all over the top of a piece of drift wood. I took the piece out and put it in my empty 10gal tank and placed a small water pump near the eggs to keep water flowing on them so they wouldn't fungus.

Now what's throwing me off is that any time I've ever seen Corydoras lay eggs, they have been on the glass and were eaten right away by the other fish, never on something like the piece of drift wood, but there are no other pairs of fish in the tank that would have laid them.

I'm really hoping they are my Corydoras Robinae, or Panda and not a hybrid with one of the other types of cory in there. I'm also not quite sure if they are fertilized or not as I've never hatched out any egg laying fish, only dealt with mouth brooders and live bearers.

Here's a pic of how they look on the driftwood:

And a closer view, I swear I can make out fry in the eggs in this pic, but I might be seeing things lol:

I bought a sponge for an aquaclear filter and placed it on the intake to the filter so that if I do end up with fry they wont get sucked up into the filter.

Any suggestions, ideas, input etc would be great!

eggssmaller.jpg eggsclose.jpg

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

They look really big to be corydoras eggs, I've had bronze cory that have laid eggs (on the seam of the tank) and have had success in hatching them on my own because like you said..they eat them as fast as they lay them.

I'm not sure if this will help (defin. not a photographer), but I'm attaching photos of the batch of eggs my cory's laid that were fertile as I now have the "adults" running around in the 90g.

I reared mine in a barebottom 10g with a heater and sponge filter, but if your going to try to tank raise I'd do a breeder net and when released into the main definately a prefilter over intakes for sure ;)

ai54.tinypic.com_2jg40ur.jpg
    6-29-08 Corydoras eggs on inner seam.jpg

3. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

What do you have in the tank ?

4. NoctuVide

for the most part other than corys, I have plecos, swordtails, a festivum cichlid, and the calvus (have them in here until they get large enough for the 90...could be a while lol). Can't be the plecos, they're all male and they lay in caves/ tubes. The festivum is a single fish, and has never laid so I'm thinking male or female with no male to spawn with. The calvus are all waaay to young.

The Cory Robinae are definitely a lot larger than the rest of the corys, twice to three times the size of the other corys. I also have a couple Brochis Splendens, but they have never spawned, and I've had them for quite a while. Why I'm also kind of thinking corydora is the fact that they were laid right after a water change (seems to be one of the ways to get corys to spawn) and they look like cory eggs I have seen before, only slightly larger.

I'm hoping in a couple days I'll 1. Find out if they were fertilized and 2. Find out what type of fish they are lol

5. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Definately keep us posted, as I'm curious too!

6. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Seems strange that they're lined up like that. I didn't think cories did that.

7. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Yep, if you notice the photo I added you can see they are all lined up along the seam of the tank.

8. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Yeah but even that doesn't seem as "neat" as NoctuVide's picture, to me at least.

9. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

yea, the use of driftwood was cool to me too! Most places you read cory's typically lay on the glass of the tank.

Ps. How's the eggs doing? any sign of life?

10. NoctuVide

well, two things. First, all the eggs are slowly turning white, so they weren't fertilized [icon_neutral.gif] . Second, I talked to my buddy at Ned's today, and we have a feeling it was the festivum. As he put it, she probably got bored and decided to lay lol Now if it is, if only I had a male as these are hard to breed in aquariums as well (if only I had picked up a couple more back when they had them) lol Oh well, I'll stick to mouth brooders and live bearers lol

11. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Lol, that explains the "bigness" of the eggs in comparison to my cory eggs.

Looks like someone's getting the urge for a male addition :)

12. Ben

Ben New Member

I know Im late on this but my corys always lay along the glass as well. Sorry to hear your eggs werent fertilized.