1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Crayfish and plants...What's your experience?

Discussion in 'Invertebrates' started by HBIC, May 2, 2012.

1. HBIC

HBIC Thread Starter Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

I have a cray (Procambarus Alleni), just a regular not one of the designer colors, in my 55. I got him about a month ago and he was teeny, less than an inch. Of course he has done what they do and has tripled in size. He is alone in a 55 with a HUGE java fern, this is the same tank the ich happened in. I have always been under the impression that crays are heck on plants but so far he has been okay. Is doom inevitable for my java fern or may I get lucky?

2. HBIC

No one?!?!?!?

3. HBIC

I guess no one has any experience with crays?!?!?!?!?

4. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

apparently not?
    but please refrain from repeated posts asking the same question (post bumping).

5. MasterBlue

MasterBlue Active Member

Some Cray will DEVOUR any vegiation you have, some will only eat other tanks mates (usually not the cheap ones), and some will only eat the food you feed them. Most will do a mixture of all the above. My Marbled Cray normally just ate what I fed them and nibbled on my plants. I had one who liked only eating my Cory (she didn't last long, as you might imagine.), and one of her sisters who only ate Java Moss (Neither did she). Most of the rest of the brood ate happily on flakes and algae disks.

I miss my Cray =C

6. HBIC

Thanks :) This one is so far not bothering the plants in his tank. I hope that I just got lucky.

7. MasterBlue

MasterBlue Active Member

Just keep 'em well fed so he don't get curious and you'll likely do fine =D

8. HBIC

Thanks, he is still growing and uses every inch of the tank but still hasn't touched the plants :)