1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Danios and Golden White Clouds

Discussion in 'Freshwater General Discussion' started by Anonymous, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Danios and Golden White Clouds

I have a 14 gallon tank with two zebra danios and three golden white cloud minnows. Does anybody have any experience with the danios? I know that they are a community fish, but they have been chasing my white clouds and they seem really stressed out because of it. The white clouds mainly just hide out in the corner of the tank. Are white clouds and zebra danios a bad combination? Any suggestions? Thanks!

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I don't have any experience with them, yet. I will be getting some soon though, both of the types you listed. Both of them are danios and should be no problem being kept together. What size are they ?

3. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

I would say they are all a little bit under 2 inches. The zebras have basically taken over the tank while the white clouds are always hiding. Makes me want to go out and get a little 7 to 10 gallon just for the white clouds :(

4. jrow8162

jrow8162 Member

I have a Danio in a 5 gallon tank that I used to help get it cycled. Its a really hardy fish and doesn't seem to be aggressive. I plan on putting a few more in there and then putting my Swordtail babies in there when they come. My understanding is that they are pretty peaceful fish. Try putting a few more in there. They should start schooling and leave your other fish alone...

5. James0816

James0816 New Member

Danio's act like bullies at times. Especially when their numbers are low. Harmless really but yes, it can stress out other fishies. It's best to keep at least 4-6 in a group. This way they will mostly focus on themselves.

6. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

How many of each do you have in the tank ?

7. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

I have two zebras and three white clouds. I'm going to go out tonight and get two more zebras. Hopefully that does the trick.

8. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Sorry, I now see you listed how many in your first post. If the Zebras are chasing the White Clouds I would suggest getting 2-3 more of those, not the Zebras.

9. James0816

James0816 New Member

Even if you get more white clouds, the zebra's will still chase them. If adding any others, you should add at least two more zebra's.

10. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Why add more of the fish that is causing the aggression ? Increasing the number of White Clouds should make them feel more secure and cut down on the Zebra aggression.

I do agree that there should be more Zebras but not at this time.

11. YellowCichlid

YellowCichlid New Member

What's your logic in that

12. James0816

James0816 New Member

The issue is with danios not having the numbers to establish a "pecking order". Since there are only a couple to begin with, they don't have interest in each other so they are going to go after whatever they can find. This is why you establish the colony with larger numbers so they keep interest on themselves.

Granted, it doesn't completely stop the chasing as that is just normal behavior, but it will significantly reduce it towards other species.

13. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Correct, the numbers of each are too low. At this point though the Zebras basically "own" the tank. Increasing the numbers of White Clouds should put the Zebras in their place by seeing they're clearly outnumbered. Placing more Zebras in the tank will only make them feel stronger.

14. James0816

James0816 New Member

Sry...I have to respectfully disagree about the strength comment. They will have too much interest in themselves to pay much never mind to their tank mates. This is from experience as I currently have four long fins. They are too busy chasing each other around to worry about the barbs and minows in the tank with them.

15. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

You can disagree, that's fine. It's just two different views on the situation. :D

16. YellowCichlid

YellowCichlid New Member

James0816 I understand what you're saying but I don't see the logic in that either

17. James0816

James0816 New Member

np...its not logic...its the nature of the species of fish.

18. YellowCichlid

YellowCichlid New Member

It's the nature of schooling fish to not pick on a smaller group of a different species? That's new to me

19. Jake

Jake Administrator

Exactly. I'm not really into fish, but this is everyday logic. Weaker fish will be stronger in larger numbers and strong fish will be weaker in smaller packs. It's very simple.

20. James0816

James0816 New Member

It's the nature of the zebra danio not schooling fish in general. They are a very active/hyperactive fish. Their nature is to zip all around the place. When you only have one or two in a tank with other species, they tend to chase and/or stress them out since there are not more of their numbers to focus on each other. In this example, the danio is not going to care that there are more minows than them, they are still going to chase them. The more minows...the more to chase. ;o) However, when you have a school of zebra's (4+), they will 90+% of the time focus mainly on themselves thus ignoring the other mates in the tank. It's how the zebra is. Nothing wrong with it...it's just his nature.