1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Do It Yourself DIY Sponge Filter

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by Anthony, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Anthony

Anthony Thread Starter Active Member

In Progress...

Supplies:
    3/4" PVC
    Open Cell Sponge
    Air Pump
    Airline Tubing
    Wall Tile (For the bottom of the PVC)
    Aquarium Safe Silicone
    Electric/Battery Operated Drill

A lot of this project is personal preference when it comes to size and shape.

I use simple square sponges.

First: Your PVC can be cut to any size you'd like to fit your specific application.

Once you've done that an inch from the bottom drill about 16 holes, 4 on each side (Depending on PVC height). About 1/2" from the top, drill a hole the same size as your tubing. Drill it at about a 45 degree angle.

Now to attach the tile to the bottom of the PVC. Make sure your PVC was cut evenly and place it, with the holes toward the bottom, on the tile. Silicone around it really well. Let it cure for 24 hours.

Cut your foam to any shape you'd like. Make sure you have enough to cover all the holes you drilled in the bottom of the PVC. Normally I just cut a few slits in the center of the foam so I can slide it over the PVC. If you want you can wet the foam and let it freeze completely then use your drill with a 3/4" (The name escapes me right now. The thing you use when drilling doors for door knobs. LoL).

Once you have your foam cut and your silicone is cured you can slide the foam onto the PVC. Insert your airline tubing into the 45 degree hold and slide it all the way into the PVC. Place the whole thing in your tank, cover the tile with your substrate and turn it on.

2. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

Cant wait ;)

3. caronsd

caronsd New Member

Still waiting..... lol

4. Anthony

Oops, forgot all about this. LoL I've got to find my picture for it too.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

I was like come on now anthony way to tease us with you "diy sponge filter"

6. Anthony

I finally got this finished.

7. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

Do you cover the top of the PVC. I have never seen a sponge filter so I am a bit lost. A pic or 2 of the whole system would be GREAT!

8. Anthony

No, the top of the PVC is fully open. I wasn't able to find the pictures of the ones I made and since they're up north I'm not able to take any new ones. Here's a good example though.
    awww.cichlids.net_images_fish_sponge.jpg