1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Do Plants Make your Aquarium Healthier?

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plants & Planted Tanks' started by Anonymous, May 30, 2008.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Do they make the tank healthier?

Do plants make the tank healthier?

2. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Re: Do they make the tank healthier?

it creates a more comfprtable environment for your fish and creates natural oxygen, AKA no bubblers.

3. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

That's interesting. Is there a formula for how many plants you need per volume of water to be able to not have bubblers?

4. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

not that I know of, but it should be medium to heavily planted with DIY Co2 at minimum and at least 3 wpg with some form of fertilization.

5. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

A bubbler isn't used to put air into the water. It's used to help with the oxygen exchange. The bubbles break the surface of the water helping oxygen in and co2 out.

6. Keuzeserver

Keuzeserver New Member

There isnt a formule with plants no.
    But you should count this: At least 3 liter of water for every cm of fish you got.

7. The Crasher

The Crasher New Member

maybe this helps

Everything depends on the metabolism of the fish, and how the surpluses in the aquarium, and especially in the filter. Moreover, there is the processing of finished products: phosphates and nitrates, which plants or water removed, or give rise to the (explosive) growth of green or blue algae. So the fish species: young or grown, the type of tank: rotsbiotoop or groenoase, the type and quantity of feed, the waterparameters (pH, KH; GH; oxygen, and much more), the filters and pumps, temperature and lighting, all these things determine the balance in the aquarium, and thus the number of fish

8. Jake

Jake Administrator

plants help keep nitrates down in your tank too

9. eeyipes

eeyipes New Member

You don't necessarily need crazy expensive high wattage lights and fancy CO2 setups to have live plants. Java ferns, java moss, and anubias are just a a few undemanding low light plants anyone can try. I have a pair of inexpensive T5 bulbs over my tank for a total of only about 1.2 wpg and simple gravel substrate, and so far the plants are doing fine. No CO2 injection, just some Flourish Excel every other day, and a bit of liquid fertilizer once a week. So if anyone out there has doubts about live plants, I say make a few careful selections and give them a try. You fishys will say thank you!

10. Dox13

Dox13 Member

Since I have been using Java Moss in all my Betta tanks it seems to help keep the nitrates down. I use water sprite in my growout tank and let it just float on the top. I also use sponges filters in it. I have a 20 long growout tank.

11. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Yeah, plants will keep the nitrates down which is always a good thing. Anything under 20ppm is good. If it gets above that you should do a water change.

12. noshow discus

noshow discus New Member

the plants break down the wste in the tank and in doing so release O2 gives the fish a place to hide when stressed and well i like the look or real versus fake