1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Driftwood Sticky

Discussion in 'Site News / Feedback / Questions' started by Anonymous, Jan 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Maybe there could be a well written article on how to properly sterilize/clean driftwood before its placed into the tank. Any opinions?

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Yeah, that sounds good. Anyone know enough to do a little writeup ? I've only used driftwood once and it was already cleaned for aquarium use so I just soaked it in hot water for a bit before placing it into the tank.

3. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

I can do one.... I have done this SEVERAL times.

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

[dancing] Okay great !

5. Ryanstech

Ryanstech New Member

hey cool! Lemon, throw in some tips on sterilizing and cleaning huge batches at a time will you? :) I'm lacking a giant vat to use...

6. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

use your bathtub!

7. LemonDiscus

I agree with Nelson, I would use the bathtub with the bleach technique. Be prepared for LOTS of de-chlorinator!

8. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

I would do just a bathtub soak in the hottest water you can muster out of the shower, and continue to drain and refill the water two or three times. You could also pour boiling water over the pieces at some point in the process. Thats just what I would do, but I would never use bleach on anything thats going into my tanks, personal preference I guess.

9. LemonDiscus

True, the boiling water would do as well to getting poured into it.

Also you can bake batches in the oven too. I was thinking about that the past day or so. I did bake 2 pieces in my oven together and I could have done about 10-20 depending on size. You can stack them if you are baking as you are heating the nasties out and not making cookies! :)

10. Ryanstech

Ryanstech New Member

I filled a heavy-duty garbage can with hot water and a bit of bleach and stuffed most of mine in there to soak for now.

11. LemonDiscus

That will work. Remember to use LOTS of dechlorinator when finished with the bleach soak! Buy like a big bottle of Aquasafe and use it all! You dont want any bleach left later!

12. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.