1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

eheim canister filter modle 2215

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by ilovefish123, Dec 25, 2010.

1. ilovefish123

ilovefish123 Thread Starter New Member

i have a eheim 2215 filter and i was wondering whats the SMALLEST tank it can run in ?

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

according to the mfr it's suggested for tanks UP TO 93g with a maximum gph of 164gph.
    What size tank are you trying to put it on? I myself highly overfilter both of my tanks, so if you were wanting to use it on a smaller tank I'd say prefilter the intake to reduce the output and if you find it "blowing" the substrate & inhabitants then try aiming the outtake towards the back of the tank wall (I've found doing this with spray bars enables me to run strong canisters without harm to the discus I keep, but enables me to utilize the filtration turnover rate and medias that I desire).

3. ilovefish123

i dont know what size tank i even want it in maybe a 30 38 or 36 one of those i want to try to make a planted tank for the first time, i know with plants you have to have a good filtration unit so yea :) i have an off topic question umm i have bog wood and it turns my water redish and i hate it lol how can i get rid or it i mean stop making the woood turn the water redish ?

4. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I'm sure it'd be fine in any of those sized tanks...if it's too strong simply aim the outtake at the back wall and prefilter the intake.

Also, filtration isn't always needed for a planted tank...if you put enough plant's they'll act as a filter in itself.

As for the bogwood, the reddish tint you describe is called tannins. Harmless, can be removed by either boiling the wood ahead of time or adding carbon to remove it from the water.
    How Long For Tannins to be Released from Drift Wood

5. ilovefish123

thanks :) ohh one more thing :$ do i need some kind of co2 ststem for a planted tank or like fertilizers for the plants ? :$ sorry i just really like your advice i understand and its not complicated like some websites explain it ;$ thanks !

6. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I wouldn't start with co2 unless your really running into trouble.
    Start with a good substrate such as the eco-complete planted (black)...plant whatever you plan on keeping...utilize the appropriate wattage of light which will depend on what your planting...and if you have heavy root feeders such as sword type plants then place a root tab (api/seachem) beneath/nearby it's roots just under the soil.

Give it about a week and see how they are doing, if you plan on adding/trying anything to start with I'd go with Seachem Flourish before getting into co2 (especially with being a first timer on plants).

Why get more involved than you need ... more involved = more expense!

7. ilovefish123

yea i dont want to crazz with plants right out the gate i wanna tank time and do everything slowly and be sure not to miss anything . so basically lights substrate and the tabs for root feeders

8. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

You got it ;)
    and also a good source for plants....if their not stem plants or bulbs...then a good root system is vital!