1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

First tank, first illness..

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases & Cures' started by kaypiob, Feb 20, 2010.

1. kaypiob

kaypiob Thread Starter New Member

Hi there,

I had a Red Wag die on me tonight of a mouth fungus. (He was new to the gang from the fabulous PetSmart.) I had started a treatment of Melafix (day one of seven according to the directions), and I'm just wondering if I should continue the treatment now that he's out of the tank. I've read various reviews, good and bad, about the Melafix so I'm not 100% sure about it. Should I instead treat with a preventative rather than a remedy? Just did a water change before the little guy was introduced (two days ago), readings are normal, temp is about 80.

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Since the fish with mouth fungus was already introduced into what I am assuming was an otherwise healthy tank I would continue the Melafix treatment according to the directions to protect the other fish in the tank that may not be showing signs YET.

1) Remove any carbon media from your filtration system until treatment has been completed (for 7 days)
    2) Add 1tsp Melafix per every 10g ...dose daily for 7 days.
    3) On day 3 & 6 you'll want to do at least a 25% partial
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    ps. if you have the room try to set yourself up a simple quarantine tank (10g work nice for this reason).
    What's Simple, for the mostpart?
    [*]Bare bottom tank
    [*]Heater
    [*]Filter - Sponge filter

3. kaypiob

Thanks, that's what I had planned--just wanted to be sure. The tank has been going strong since August. :)

4. kaypiob

Oops I meant May... underestimated. I've lost track..

5. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

No worries :)
    Also, I wouldn't worry about the use of Melafix...I've used it in combination with Pimafix for treatment of primarily a discus and clown loach without issues
    (and clown loaches are more sensitive being a scaleless species).

Good Luck with your tank ;)

6. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Melafix is for bacteria, Pimifix is for fungus.

7. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

MelaFix
    Anthony, your right about Melafix being for bacteria...but it also will treat 1 fungus according to the bottle...that fungus being Mouth Fungus.

Here's a copy and paste from foster about the 2 products backing that up:
    MelaFix
    Contains the natural botanical extract from the Tea Tree (Melaleuca), an excellent alternative to resistant strains of bacteria that are unaffected by traditional medications. Treats bacterial infections such as red ulcers, fin and tail rot, cloudy eyes, mouth fungus, and others in as little as 4 days. Also heals open wounds, ulcers, and damaged fins. Doesn't affect pH; safe for invertebrates.

PimaFix
    Treats cotton-like fungal infections, and both internal and external bacterial infections. PimaFix harnesses the unique antifungal and antibacterial properties of the West Indian Bay Tree (Pimenta racemosa) for a safe and natural remedy; prevents the development of resistant strains of disease-causing organisms. Will not discolor water, affect biological filter, or pH during treatment. Will not harm aquatic plants. For extreme cases, PimaFix can safely be used with MelaFix to provide the added benefit of quick tissue regeneration and wound healing. 8 oz doses 400 gallons
    -----------------------------------------------
    I have Melafix, PimaFix & Fubafix that I am keeping handy (mini medicine cabinet).

8. kaypiob

It's day 3 so far, and they all seem to be very very happy. Eating well, very active. I'm building up a medicine cabinet for the future, and am planning to get another tank for quarantine. Loving this hobby--can't wait to get a larger tank. :)

9. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Apparently I never completely read the bottle Dawn. LoL

10. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

The only reason I did was because I had the loaches in there at the time and recall you saying about the scaleless fish being "special" in regards to which meds you can and can't use. :)