1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

food question

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by cichlidz, Jun 15, 2009.

1. cichlidz

cichlidz Thread Starter New Member

the fish farm where i bought my fish farm feeds the fish crushed dog food so i have kept them on that diet for about a year now. the only difference i have noticed is that they grow faster than fish i have fed regular cichlid food to and its much cheeper. i also give them guppies or ghost shrimp once a week or every two weeks.
    has anyone else tried dog food?

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

That's not a good idea. Dog food is normally filled with corn and wheat which is not a proper diet for fish. Feeder fish are also a bad idea, especially that often.

They should really be fed a good staple food like Dainichi or New Life Spectrum.

3. ted3325

ted3325 New Member

dog food is not a good fish food , harmfull ingrediants and preservatives. i use a high protien food with no preservative from bestflake. com . they have flakes and pellets and sell in quantities up to 5 pounds .. price is not bad either

4. roggstudelpest

roggstudelpest New Member

My LFS gave me some New Life Spectrum to try out on my fish and they LOVE it! Nothing reaches the floor of the tank for my Cuckoo Cat so they also gave me a special food for him and the cichlids steer clear of it.

5. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

anyone tried other foods like fruits or odd ball veggies? I have tried tomato, potatoes, apples, watermelon. But not dog food! Heck, I might try that, if I had a dog. Maybe the neighbor will give me a sample. LOL

7. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I have to reiterate that Dog food is NOT meant for fish.

8. tdauss

tdauss New Member

wow... Dog food... that just sounds wrong on all levels. I like feeding live black worms every so often and a good staple food... depending on the type of fish of course... but never dog food... I mean the fact alone tells you that it's not for fish... just my two cents...

9. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I agree fully, an assortment of foods are best.
    I use Frozen, Flake, Micro-Pellets and Algae Wafers...NEVER dog food for my fish.

10. DarkDemolition

DarkDemolition New Member

I was wondering what's a good frozen bloodworms or brine shrimp to be fed an a month bases.. if it's good for them or not... but if you guys have a brand want to recommed it'll be cool .. let me know... thanks you guys...

11. cooltow1

cooltow1 Member

San Francisco Bay, Hikari and Sally's
    I'm a big Hikari fan myself

Rick

12. DarkDemolition

It woudl be good for my malawi cichlid hopefully .. but what kind of live food would be good.. if shrimps and bloodworm or krills let me know.. but yeah those product are awesome...

13. tdauss

tdauss New Member

personally for my malawi cichlids I feed bloodworms (frozen), occasionally black worms (live), occasionally rosey reds (live), staple pellets and throw some algae waffers in there occasionally. Bloodworms and pellets are their daily food.

14. DarkDemolition

thank you so much .. I appreciate.. :D

15. snowhite

snowhite New Member

I have been using MicroCrabs for a while now, my Snow White isn't growing fast, but she's active and loves it.

16. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

I myself would think it depends on the type of fish! Back in the 60's I feed my pirrahnas dog food and they went nuts over it. I wouldn't give it to neons (LOL) but maybe the larger cichlids it may work for.

17. why_spyder

why_spyder New Member

Most people I know suggest avoiding anything that is related to/derived from warm-blooded animals. (this would include bloodworms) Such foods tend to take longer to digest and can be harmful to particular species (especially those with longer intestinal tracts). There is much safer foods out there, so why take the chance, right? Personally, I prefer to stick with a good spirulina-based flake and unhatched baby brine shrimp.

Most people I know that feed BBS stick to hatching it out for fry, but I have found the unhatched egg version to be easier and still effective. Did I mention it is also cheaper? I have read several arguments about which is better, but it really appears to come down to personal preference. If your fish need moving food, than hatching would be the way to go - but for my mbuna/peacocks/haps, they eat whatever hits the water so the food doesn't need to be moving.

New Life Spectrum and Dainichi are also good foods - several friends of mine feed both and they like what they get for results. I used to feed NLS as well but I didn't see a big enough difference in growth, color, and health to justify buying more.

18. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I useed to feed Dainichi when I kept cichlids and loved it, as did the fish.

19. dante

dante New Member

i made my own spirulina based food using king prawn, pure spirulina powder, blended carrot, blended spinnach,(both quick boiled) and a slab or two frozen bw or black mosquito larvae then binded with agar agar(which IS alot better than gelatine) then freeze into good size portions my fish went nuts for it haps mbuna peacoks and because its got a good deal of nutrition brings colour out a treat hope it helps

20. dante

dante New Member

but i would steer well clear of dog food as there are plenty of better suitable foodstuffs you can feed your charges another point to make is that over here in the uk most fishing ponds have BANNED the use of dog food as bait also corned beef as it is too fatty and basicly not good food for fish