1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Fowlr

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by Anonymous, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

What is needed for this type of tank? I hear people talking about them, but what makes them different? Since theres no coral is it easier? What equipment do you need (beyond a filter)? You guys have enticed me into at least being curious enough to consider a salt tank. And I hate you all for it. ;)

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Fish and live rock. :) Generally it should be easier. Filter, Heater, Skimmer, Powerhead(s) and Standard Lights.

3. gangstafish

gangstafish Member

Alot easier.
    craigs gangstas 055.jpg craigs gangstas 141.jpg craigs gangstas 305.jpg craigs gangstas 307.jpg craigs gangstas 481.jpg

4. crazhrse

crazhrse New Member

thats what i just setup nelson, i got live sand and live rock from a 4 year old well established tank and got my water from wrightsville beach and the water was perfect and didn't need anything

5. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

You used water straight from the ocean ?

6. crazhrse

crazhrse New Member

YEA!!!!!!! whats wrong with that? naw man just shooting it with you , i knew i was gonna get that question, the water i am speaking of comes from the uncw aquaculture place and it is filtered sea water that uncw uses for their tanks i guess, plus it's free so you can't beat it

7. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Oh okay. LoL

8. trajik ink

trajik ink New Member

wow!! i wish i had a place like that around here....

9. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

FOWLR is crazy easy, I don't do anything with my tank other than water changes, don't put any additives or anything. I don't even use a skimmer, just hob filters :) and you don't have to worry about proper lighting an all that.

The BEST thing about FOWLR is that they are puffer safe! :D Which is why I'll never get a reef tank because every tank I own has to have a puffer, lol.

10. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Lol I explained the plant to you all in the beginning, the desalinazation plant that is run by uncw is where Crazhrse got his water, to clear up any confusion.

I wanna come see that tank, which one did you put it in peewee?

11. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

It's a desalinization plant ? That removes salt from the water... I don't get it. Why use that over well or RO water ?

12. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

It is an old desal plant, Ive answered all these qestions previously. UNCW bought it and started doing research, they have started filtering ocean water and making it available to hobbyist. It only cost you gas, instead of paying water bills and buying instant ocean, etc, etc, etc.