1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

fry announcement Board: announce your baby fry here!

Discussion in 'Livebearer Fish' started by Leslie, Aug 16, 2008.

1. Leslie

Leslie Thread Starter New Member

guess what i found in my tank
    Last night i was looking in my tank andthere was a baby fish. just 1 is all i saw. it was swiming around. I dont know if it is in there today or not. but i couldnt belive it. my fishy had babys.

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Re: guess what i found in my tank

If there's one Im sure there are more.

3. trajik ink

trajik ink New Member

oh yeah, there's definetly more somewhere....

4. Leslie

i think the frog ate them then. i dont even see the one now. maybe the filter sucked them up?? possable??

5. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Yeah, that's possible.

6. Leslie

well i figure if they breed and breed then there are bound to be some fry survive. i dont really think the filter can suck them up i dont think it is that strong.

7. eeyipes

eeyipes New Member

I bet froggy got them too. Add some dense plant growth and you'll see some survivors.

8. trajik ink

trajik ink New Member

yep, i agree with eeyipes!!

9. Leslie

there are 2 thich peices of java fern in it. the frog just likes to climb in the middle of them

10. caronsd

caronsd New Member

Baby Fish

Baby Fish

It's been one day and I already have baby fish!!!

11. caronsd

caronsd New Member

Re: Baby Fish

2 so far, a few fell through my breeder box and were eaten.. Some seem to be born but it looks like they are just heads. Does it take time for them to wake up? or are they still borns?

12. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Are they guppies you're talking about ? Once they're born they should immediately swim.

13. caronsd

caronsd New Member

yeah they are guppies, yeah they were still born. I have 4 live ones, 4 still born, and god knows how many got eaten when they slipped through the breeder net.... :( but they are still coming and my second mom is starting to pop them out right now as we speak!

14. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Ya know... As long as I've had guppies and Endlers I've never seen a female give birth.

15. caronsd

caronsd New Member

its pretty cool, they came out in groups of 2, like one after another in pairs lol. I just decided to put her in a breeder box and like 20 minutes later BAM!

16. trajik ink

trajik ink New Member

that must be cool to watch.....congrats on the fry.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

New Guppies!

New Guppies!

So I just bought two really nice trios of guppies from guppyalternative.com. One trio is Metal King Cobra guppies and the other trio are Blue Metal Head guppies. I'm planning on breeding them and selling them. They are all very nice and I'm hoping that things go well.

I also *accidentally* bought a pair of Red Mosaic guppies off of Ebay, along with some young Black Velvet guppies (for a charity) and a pair of Blue Metallic guppies (also for a charity). They were all fairly inexpensive, so I figure I can breed them a little too. The only thing I didn't consider is tank space...I have a 58 gallon community tank (definitely has room for guppies though, but I'm going to sell some of the fish in there to make room for the guppies), a 20L, a 30L, and a 10 gallon. I have a top for another 10 gallon, so if need be, I can get another.

I plan on keeping all of the color strains pure for the most part, but keeping everything separate is going to be a headache and a half. I do have some tank dividers and such. What do you guys think would be the best way of separating everything out? I was going to let the Black Velvet fry (6 of them) grow in the 30L, along with any fry that happen to pop out (new fry will live in a small "breeding trap" for the first week or two, depending on the size of the batch.) I was planning on keeping the males in a 10 gallon, and as long as I can tell which females go with which male, I was planning on keeping the females in the 58 gallon community tank. The 30L, 20L, 10 gal and if I get another 10 gal will all be fry/rearing tanks. Once the females are big enough to not get eaten, they can go into the community tank to grow until I sell them. What do you think? Any input on this matter is appreciated. I plan on keeping notes on the breedings and make sure they stay pure, etc. So, what do you think? :)

18. Jake

Jake Administrator

Re: New Guppies!

The only way to keep the strain pure is to keep them separated at all times.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Yup, they will be separated at all times. Well I may put the males together or the females together (as long as I can tell the different strains in the females), but never males of one strain in with females of another strain.

I have another 10 gal that I bought for $12 (hood included), so yay!

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

You will need three tanks just for the breeding part and then another tank for each strains offspring, and if your going to do selective breeding you'll need tanks out the a$$. You dont want to mix the fry and not be able to figure out what group is from what selected pair. One tank will be for the males, another will be for the females, the third will be the breeding tank, where you select a male and a couple females who have the specific traits you desire.