1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

General Plant Care

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plants & Planted Tanks' started by Anonymous, Aug 9, 2008.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

General Plant Care
    I recently started a planted tank, I have some but little experience with plants with extends as far as buying them and putting the roots into the substrate. I am looking for a general guide to plant care and upkeep. Right now I have java fern, an amazonian sword plant, anubias nana, and some grass that I cannot think of the name to save my life. Any tips on planting, nutrients, continued care, etc. would be greatly appreciated!

2. noshow discus

noshow discus New Member

depends on how you want the tank to look....ie heavy planted med planted with fish or light planted with fish.
    If heavy then liquid ferts and strong lights
    If med then once a month dose of liquid fert and good light
    If light decent light and let the fish fert ya plants.
    only problem is with strong light comes massive alage blooms

3. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Ok, so far I am adding flourish every week, cannot find flourish excel to save my life (have not checked the internet). The tank is newly started, so there is very little fish "fertilizer." I have a 96w light strip white and actinite bulb. I want to have a "medium" planted tank, I want a lot offull plants but I dont want them to take over if that makes sense or is even possible, basically "controlled chaos." If I need to adjust this regimen any or add anything let me know please, I really have no experience in this area.

4. noshow discus

noshow discus New Member

well i am thinking that your white light is 10k and the blue is pretty much worthless in the Fresh water tank it is made for the blue end that certain saltwater fish corals ect need.
    You can change it out for a full spec bulb if ya want.
    its been awhile but i believe its is 2-3watts of light per gallon of tank in a long and 3-4 watts per gallon for a tall.
    You might want a fert tab near the base of the plant instead of the liquid fert weekly might be more cost effective for you.
    do you do weekly water changes?

5. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Yeah I change the water every week. You are correct about the light, I ill keep that in mind when this bulb goes out. Where do you get a full spectrum bulb, this fixture has the type of bulb that is connected in the middle, if that makes any sense.

6. noshow discus

noshow discus New Member

i take it that it is a 4 pin PC light if it is foster and smith will probally be your best best i am so out of date it aint funny i just run the T8 on all of mine except the breeding tall tank they are T6 and is a twin but i only run one bulb in it