1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Genesis Water Dechlorinator

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by Anonymous, Jul 14, 2009.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Being particularly broke one month, I thought I'd try something different and save me a couple pennies. I bought this conditioner that did not do as claimed by the seller. Their site claims:

Removes chlorine and chloramine from tap water. Eases fish stress and helps fish form their natural protective coating. Use one drop per gallon.

I lost the cycle on all 5 of my tanks! After further checking, this product does not remove chloramine at all but only chlorine. Many places now are using chloramine for sanitizing their water supply and no longer using the chlorine. Apparently this is true with my water company or I would not have lost my cycle .............OR............the product is just plain no good to start with.

Buy cheap/Get cheap
    genesis.gif

2. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

PS......Note this product label says AP? Do not confuse this with API who carries pretty good products which is one of the reasons I purchased it to began with.

3. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

the lfs where I bought my tank said he uses in all the tanks he sets up everywhere...sold me a bottle, but I never ended up using it.
    It's actually supposed to be good stuff from what I hear?

It was like $4.95 for a tiny bottle that looked to be 2 ounces.
    Defin. not cheap here! ((wonder if you got a bad bottle))?

4. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

There's nothing to go wrong with it but this product only removes chlorine and does not remove chloramine. If your water company treats it's water with chloramine, then this product will not work for them.

Many of the water municipals stopped treating with chlorine a few years ago and started treating only with chloramine. It lasts in the water longer than chlorine and is said to be a better sanitizer. To play it safe, it's best to get a product that states it will remove both chlorine and chloramine and you know you have it covered.

I don't know what my town uses. The change-over to chloramine was in larger cities and I live in a little rinky-dink town in Northern MI. All I know is that I lost my cycle in all my tanks.

I buy everything online and get my dechlorinator by the quart or gallon and can't remember what I paid but I know it was cheaper than most of the others. Had this store not wrongly said it treated chloramines, I would not have purchased it.

5. YellowCichlid

YellowCichlid New Member

I've never seen this product before. I tend to stick to Prime because it does so much

6. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

prime FTW