1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

glass prices?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by blowfishRus6, Dec 10, 2009.

1. blowfishRus6

blowfishRus6 Thread Starter New Member

anybody got an estimates on how much glass runs to build a tank with. (about 120ish gallons)

ive been watching some videos and it does not look all that complicated to build. ive also been looking at some plywood set ups.

anybody got any tips or advice with this route?

2. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

Shame I can't link you to another forum. There is a guy on another site that is building a plywood set up.

3. blowfishRus6

ive seen some good videos on youtube. id rather it be all glass but plywood might be an easy option. dont know.

4. cooltow1

cooltow1 Member

Glass is expensive the one only glass tank we ever built the glass was savaged from a store front that was set for demolition. the down side was this glass was tempered so couldn't be drilled or cut so the was very deep.I have don't several ply wood tank that is fairly cheap. The biggest expense being the epoxy paint to seal the wood

Rick

5. James0816

James0816 New Member

Plywood is good choice. It allows for some good options to as far as size is concerned. My 10' tank will be ply.

6. blowfishRus6

intresting. might just do it out of plywood with of course a glass front. it would be an indoor set up and i would like to be able to see as much as possible into the tank. but wood also has a nice look to it also.

noob question. what is the point of drilling the tank. im guessing for a sump set up but im a little lost.

7. James0816

James0816 New Member

yes..the drilling would be for a sump setup.

8. blowfishRus6

is it a smoother alternitive to running hoses out over the top of the tank??

9. James0816

James0816 New Member

definately.

10. blowfishRus6

11. James0816

James0816 New Member

sumps make for better filtration. gives you a better biofilter. plumbing is concealed. water changes are easier.

not that i like them or anything. ;o)

12. blowfishRus6

haha. i would like to set one up with this new tank that i either build or find a good deal on. maybe with a 10 gal tank (if thats big enough, i can get them pretty cheap) just dont quite know how it works.

but i deff like the idea of it :D

13. cooltow1

cooltow1 Member

You set up a sump to suit your needs, there really no right or wroug way to do it, what ever works for you.
    Here one running on my 180

And the algae scubber

Maybe this will give you an idea

Rick
    13.jpg 10.jpg 9.jpg 12.jpg 20.jpg

14. blowfishRus6

whats the idea in the last picture??? thanks for the picutres also.

also i keep hearing things like, wet/dry sump and tank overflow. i kinda understand of the overflow, if your pump going into the overflow stops working but your pump going going back into your tank is still working, okay yes it will overflow the tank. also if i have a drilled hole i wont need a pump to pump the water down to the sump, just syphon. or will i?? im lost in how the whole system works.

15. cooltow1

cooltow1 Member

Water gravity flows to the sump, so no pump going into the sump. The water level in the main tank is controlled by stand pipes or over flow boxes. If the pump fails, there has to be volume in the sump to handle the overflow from the main tank.You have to balance the system

The last photo is an algae scubber to help control nitrates, You bypass some of the return water and trickle it over a screen that you run high lighting on to grow algae that uses up nitrate, work really good in planted tanks to control algae

Rick

16. blowfishRus6

balance seems to be the key in these systems to prevent overflow. ive been checking out some more videos. seems i can peice something together pretty cheap using buckets and tubaware big buckets.

whats the point of the diffrent filtration processes? biological, live rock, others (i dont know them)

17. cooltow1

cooltow1 Member

here a link to the Filtration 101@TEF
    Filtration 101 (In General)

It's all about balance
    And yes plastic tubs is the cheapest and EZes way to build a sump system

Rick

18. blowfishRus6

awesome.

cant wait to get it all together and get it going.

19. James0816

James0816 New Member

The plastic 3-drawer containers are nice too. You can load them up with bio material like floss, lava rock, scrubbies, bio balls, etc.

20. cooltow1

cooltow1 Member

I seen some clean set ups using these also, but you aren't going to fit it under the tamk

Rick