1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

good & bad aquarium or fish related experiences

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by eeyipes, Jul 24, 2008.

1. eeyipes

eeyipes Thread Starter New Member

Ug, I said 4, not 13!
    I found someone giving away some pretty platies for the shipping, and asked for 4 -- and today received 13! :eek: Yikes! Many were 1/4" fry size ... but still waaaay more than I wanted. So now I've gone from a lightly stocked tank to an overloaded one when these guys are grown. Plus I added 2 small gouramis yesterday thinking there would only be 4 platies added today. I'm actually hoping the gouramis eat some :( Grrrrrrr.

So just a note to would be fish sharers ... please don't share more than your recipient has asked for and can care for!

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I wouldn't be surprised if the Gouramis do eat some of the fry.

Now if they were something like Endler's I'd gladly accept the extra! LoL

3. YellowCichlid

YellowCichlid New Member

How big are the gouramis

4. eeyipes

I think I'm going to give them a week and see how many succumb to the stress and how many do OK, then try to find some homes for some of them around town. They were not shipped well, even though they were overnighted the bags were not filled properly and bounced around a bit in the box, and there was some leakage. I can tell already that 2 of the larger fish in the lot that probably won't make it very long. Otherwise the smaller fry are looking pretty perky.

O well, still beats what I saw at the local fish store yesterday ... half the tanks loaded with green water, most of the rest loaded with dead fish. :eek: For some odd reason the plant tank is the only tank in the store that never has the lights on, and of course the plants are all half dead. I'll keep taking my chances with fish online! The only fish they had that looked healthy were the gouramis who had just arrived, so I rescued 2.

5. eeyipes

They are 3 spot gouramis, maybe 1 1/2 inches now. They will get moved when they get bigger. I realize they can get 6+ inches. I'm looking for a 55 gal on craigslist. :)

6. eeyipes

I agree to that! But of course Endlers are much smaller and are not the poop factories that platys are!

7. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Maybe that's why they shipped so many. They were unsure how to ship them and figured they'd send more figuring most wouldn't survive.

8. eeyipes

Yea, maybe. But still! One or two extra is OK, not 13 :confused:

BTW, some helpful shipping guidelines for plants and fish would make a great sticky article on the trading board.

9. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Yep, I agree.

I'll work on that today. Thanks for the suggestion. :D

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Dumbest Mistake

Dumbest Mistake
    I know we have all had our, "did I really just do that" moments! I figured we might as well do a little self defication and let others get some humor out of our quandries! So here goes, whats the dumbest thing/biggest mistake you have made thus far in the hobby. Feel free to tell more than one story, and it doesnt have to be drastic just something you may want to vent or allow us to laugh at your expense.

Ill start it off: Yesterday I went to add some ammonia chips and new activated carbon into my xp3 that upon arrival I just hooked up without inspecting the contents. Well, I bought it off ebay and the guy said he used it fo two weeks and left it untouched, so I figured the media was still intact etc. Wrong! When I opened it up, mind you I have been using it for a month, give or take, all the media, biostars, basicaly everything except the foam had been placed in plastic sandwich bags before he shipped it to me. All I could do was shake my head and say "really?"

11. crazhrse

crazhrse New Member

Re: Dumbest Mistake

damn brother i don't beleive i would have told that, i hooked mine up backwards one time meaning put the wrong hose on the wrong side

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Hahahaha, yeah I knew it draw some laughs, and prolly not the dumbest thing I ever done either lol.

13. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

You ran the filter with all that media in plastic bags ?

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Haha, yeah for about a month, lets not turn this into a nelson's a dumba*s, others can comment about their mistakes as well!

15. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

:) That's really funny.

I'm trying to think of something I've done but can't, yet.

16. trajik ink

trajik ink New Member

well nells i think you just made it a nelson's a dum'@$$ thread........lol.
    too funny :) :)

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

least i got balls to admit when I do something stupid and funny. man up.

18. trajik ink

trajik ink New Member

alright......the other day i was checking out my tank from close....my face was up to the glass and i noticed that my pagona coral which is placed in the middle of my tank sitting on the sand.......had some sand on it! and i tried to blow it off!!......and i don't mean with a powerhead i mean i caught myself blowing on the glass and my wife caught the whole thing on video......

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

sorry, but I realized that that last post was very misogynistic, ladies feel free to lady up to the task as well.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Dude, thats like blowing your cig ash off into an ash tray. Thank you, I havent laughed that hard in a minute.